Single Shot Saga

ADMIN

Administrator
Since I began my lifetime firearms procurement program, which turned into a buy/sell/trade trial that has spanned over forty years, I have owned many single shots. From pellet guns in .177, to the Ruger #1 Tropical Rifle in .458 Winchester Magnum, my interest in things "single" has included shotguns, muzzleloaders, gopher eradicators, moose droppers, deer harvesters, predator plunkers, and varmint chasers. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Single Shot Saga, By Les Voth. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

A well done article. Single shots have been a big part of my shooting and hunting career, thus the nick name. In fact I took a nice 8pt last month with the Ruger #1 in 6.5-284 which I wrote about in an article on this site. After many hours and rounds I decided to shoot the falling blocks. I found the break opens difficult on the bench but that was a personal decision. Good job.

Well written, good reading! Thanks for the insight and experiences.

I remember as a boy when my father inherited his father's Stevens Favorite Falling Block in .22 lr. It was shootable at the time and I remember many times plinking away at pop-cans in the back yard. The firing pin is no longer effective so it now hangs on the wall above the stove at my dad's house.

There's a story behind the rifle though. It started out as my grandfather's brother's rifle. My grandfather and his brother each had matching Stevens Facorites (in their teens I would imagine). My great uncle loved to experiment... with other people's stuff :D He took my grandfather's gun and loaded an empty .22lr shell in the chamber. Next he dumped the powder charge from a 30-30 down the muzzle into the .22 casing. He then topped it off by tamping the pulled .22 bullet down the muzzle on top of the much too large powder charge. He rigged up a string to the trigger, set up the rifle on one side of the barn, ran with the string to the other side of the barn and gave it a hard yank... and that was the end of my grandfather's original rifle. :D kids... :rolleyes:

As a result my great uncle had to give my grandfather his own rifle which now hangs on the wall at my parents place.

A few years ago someone was (or is still) making a replica of the Stevens Favorite and my mother bought one for my dad, now he has a working version as well!

Thanks again!

That was good reading. While I was reading I kept thinking about a #1 in 7mm I once owned. It was a very good shooter and it did the trick on elk very well. I stupidly left it in my truck when I went to the movies and it was gone when I got out.

Life in Canada,hard to put a ban on a single shot clip or lack of it.I own singles from 22RF to 50 BMG to my big boy .577 NE, and have shot a lot of game.when I lived in Alberta it was a Ruger #1 7mmRM,.220 Swift,7x57,Rem .223,old 410.Now in the Yukon,the Rugers are .220 Wby Rocket,30 ,Cote Express,Rem 700 308,12ga bolt-lost the mag,Rem 223 BR,408 Chey,50 Ordenace,WR .577 NE and I know I'm missing something,and like it's been said before one shot one kill,and yes I've missed my share of game,but sometimes the game gets to win and fare chase is the rule,got my share of bolt actions but that's a different topic.have fun out there and be safe.PS where your ear plugs!!gun)

For sure, I've shot many a elk with a Ruger #1in 338 mag. Also killed a few with an experiment a few years ago with a Ruger #1 in 300 wby mag that I punched out to 30-378.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm sorry I wasn't following this earlier and I hope you all get this message from such an old thread!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts