HELP: Single Shot Varmiting gun?

hoser

I'm looking to get a varmint gun and would love a single shot for coyotes, squirrels, ground hogs, ect.

First question:
223 vs 22-250? I want to keep caliber simple and accessible and stay away from wildcats so it's between these two. I know 223 is cheaper and more accessible, but is it "worth" it for the added reach of the 22-250 (what my hunting buddies shoot)?

Second question:
Winchester 1885, Browning B78 (or 1885) or Ruger #1?
If RUGER, would you get a laminate stock over wood for more stability and weight?

If WIN or BROWNING, can a BIPOD be put on these? If so, anyone have any pictures? Never seen one of these type of single shots with a bipod.

Third questions:
What's your favorite scope for varminting?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know why there are no replies. I guess people are afraid of single shots because they must miss the first shot.

My 1st semi custom was a ruger #1 in 220 swift turned into a 220 weatherby rocket. I loved that gun still have it and with over 2000 full power, 4200fps rocket rounds thru it, I shot 2 three shot groups at 200 yds one was a little over a 1" the other was a 1.625. I have my favorite varmint scope on it, a leupold 6.5-20x40 with target knobs. I also have a older b&l 6-24x40 that I like alot.

As for the stock I don't really care for rugers laminates. I would stick with the wood. I have never had any problem with mine.

I would go for the 22-250 because it does everything just a little better than a 223.

Last edited:
THANKS for the reply. Thought I posted a dumb question!

Any experience with the Winchester or Browning single shots?

No more than a friend of mine over the years has had one of each of them and he used them for blackpowder silhoute and I shot them a few times. One was a 45-70 the other was a 38-55. They were nice to shoot. I don't know what all he might have done to them.

I looked at the same caliber options for the same varmits but ended up with a TC Encore in .204 Ruger. Easy to load, economical, and a hoot to shoot.

Actually, I'm now thinking about just getting something in 308 and have it dual duty hunting and varminting! Again, I don't reload so no wildcats. I want easy to find ammo, especially here in CA.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.