Single shot 300WM problem

jkrueger

I built a single shot 300 win mag on a savage target action, went to the range this weekend to break in the barrel and ran into an interesting problem. The rounds arent being fed out of a magazine, just single placed into the action, so there is no upward feeding as the round is stripped from the magazine lips. This is causing a problem, when i push the bolt forward the tip of the bullet is catching on the chamber where it is cut out for the belt.
Anybody ever ran into this issue? or have any ideas of how to remedy the problem. I just loaded up 208 A-max bullets for break in but i would think the problem would just get worse with a HP bullet.

I would just put the round in the chamber with my fingers and close the bolt, that's the way I have always loaded my single shot rifles.

I shoot nothing but single shots. But w/no belts.

For some unknown reason I flick the cartridge into the chamber with my middle finger, I think. :rolleyes: next time I shoot I'll verify. It's pretty much without thinking.

I would try several work-rounds before I'd let Tinkeritus take over. :)

There are single shot followers made to epoxy in place. Just toss one in and close the bolt. No need for a mag box with feed lips.

Jeff

There are single shot followers made to epoxy in place. Just toss one in and close the bolt. No need for a mag box with feed lips.

Jeff

Oh yeah, that's what I do on my remmmy actions. Took it for granted your savage was a single shot. :rolleyes:

Jeff, thanks for the wake up call:) my mess are in overdrive :D

the savage is a single shot, there is no box mag or single shot follower, the rounds go in and sit on the bottom of the action. I think the problem is a combination of a relatively flat feed area and long loaded rounds, my 208 A-max load is 3.625" to the tip. so with the contact areas of that cartridge being the belt, and shoulder as it is laying in the action the tip of the bullet is out far enough that it feeds into the action right at the belt ridge in the chamber.

Your only option is to place, flick, push, or whatever other term you want to use...:D.the loaded cartridge into the chamber enough so that the tip does not come in contact with the belt reamed portion of the chamber...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.