Sighting in with Clicks-Windage problems.

JGRJR

Hello All

This is my first post and probably will sound foolish. Yesterday I was sighting in a new rifle and again had a problem that has come up with me before.

While trying to zero the scope, the Windage adjustment would not zero on the windage line. What I needed was a fractional click.

This particular scope was a Leupold 6.5-20. This problem has occurred with all my high end scopes with click adjustments. Some times you need a partial click to zero on windage.

My question is how do you deal with this. I know one way is a windage adjustable mount. What else can you do?

In my previous days of old VXIII ownership on non-click scope this was not a problem as you had completely variable adjustment. No clicks.

I am sure I am missing something right?

So what you are saying is that a 1/4 inch or MOA click at 100 yards is not a fine enough adjustment to get your rifle on at 100 yards or farther out? There are some brands of scopes that have 1/8 inch or MOA adjustments. I know very few fellas that can consistently shoot 1/2 inch groups at a 100 yards with a rifle capable of taking deer and elk so the 1/4 inch or MOA adjustments work well. You probably have the same problem with elevation right as they are usually the same increments as the windage adjusters.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Yes you are getting my meaning. I am mostly a Varmint shooter so much of what I shoot off the bench is capable of 1/2 to 1/4 MOA groups at 100 if I do my part.

6BR
6PPC
The rifle I was sighting in yesterday was my sons Savage 112 dualport in .223.

We started with the Sierra Accuracy load recommendation VV133 24.2. Adjusted seating depth. It was shooting one ragged hole with 3 shot groups.

So a single click might take the group to the left of the line or to the right of the line. A bit annoying. I know this is not that important with a big game rifle. I was just wondering what others thought of the problem? Maybe problem is the wrong word.

If you use a rail and good rings the only option available would be a 1/8 inch or MOA adjuster. There are some really good scopes set up at 1/8th the Sightron 111 comes to mind and some of the Night Force scopes. Good luck with your dilemma.

We had same problem with 1/4" clicks, Just sight in at 300 yds and your problem is solved. There are enough variables at 300 your 1/4" clicks will be fine. Varmint hunting: most targets are big enough at close range the 1/4" click doesn't matter......................good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts