Sig BDX Scopes

Sig better get that in writing. A direct reading of the rules is different than one cops interpretation of that rule. Sig advertises they are oregon legal. The rule says any "scope that receives information from . . . Any electronic device" is prohibited. A direct reading says this scope is not legal. If I was cited or arrested for using one of these scopes when sig advertises they are legal at the best I would be ****ed off. At the worst sig would be responding to a law suit. Don't take this wrong. I like your technology. I have a whiskey 5 and for the money it's a great scope. I was looking at the BDX for my 15 yr old son. But I think they are not legal in oregon.

Look at how BTF went from saying bump stocks are legal to nope now it's a felony. I don't need to drop several hundred dollars on a scope that by a strict reading is not legal. I deal with cops on a daily basis. I know they interpret the laws differently. For that matter so do judges. Sig is taking a big chance with someone else's life with their advertising these are Oregon legal.

Haven't had the opportunity to do any shooting yet, but I did try the rangefinder paired with the scope, the aim points it was giving at 500 yards were spot on.

BDX it has an AB Engine of one kind or another. The difference is that it does not have temp, pressure sensors etc like the 2400ABS does. You can integrate other devices for that, or simply use the internet over the phone. Or you can hand input them. Thats on the entry models at least. We cannot speak for what the next models or the more advanced options will have yet. But we will as they start to roll out.

You put it into "External Mode" and it will pull data from a device with the AB Elite Engine.

When in External mode it pulls the wind and other data from the devices like the Garmin and Kestrel.

It sends the range to the Kestrel, gets the firing solution, and updates the scope.

It works through interconnected electronics.

If you use a terrapin etc. and a dongle then it simply updates the range in the Kestrel and you will need to dial on your own scope. You will currently not be able to use this system with anything that is not in the AB Ecosystem. So you will need a BDX Scope, and BDX Range Finder then pair it with a device that has AB Elite Engine if you want to go the external route.

The BDX System is pretty impressive. As with all things the more accurate the information you enter in it the better your can expect the performance. I would recommend Chrono the rounds you are using for accurate velocity

Tested it over the weekend on a precision rifle course. When using AB ultralite, took some tweaking of the BC to get it right, but once we did, easy hits out to 700 yards. Testing hooked up to the Kestrel using a CDM, it was right on from the beginning. The next target was 1125, which exceeded the dots we had for that particular load, we could have tried pulling back on mag or some combination of dialing and holding...but the winds were gusting between 4 and 15 MPH...and not consistent (1/4 value, no value, 1/2 value), so it was just not a good test at those distances in those conditions.

Using the distance dots (so without a BDX RF), they were on as well, at least out to the 550 yards we tried it at.

We also dialed from 150 to 700 and back down again, and it worked great.

The only thing that did not go as planned was, like I said, ABU was off a bit, where the Kestrel running CDM's, was perfect. Not that big a deal, but good to note.

Also, we wanted to use it in "MOA dot" mode, but the spacing was too coarse, so I need to see if there is a way to make that more granular so it is useful.

But overall, a pretty good performance so far.

Ive had the scope and have used it. Nothing but good things to say about the clarity and how quick/responsive the BDX system works to get you on target quickly.

I want to clarify the Oregon legality here though. When this system was introduced and sales started in Summer 2018 it was legal in 49/50 states. Idaho being the one where it cannot be used. This is when I bought this system to use for hunting. I checked everywhere to make sure it was legal here in Oregon.....however it is now 2019 and our lovely ODFW created the rule change to the current law that makes the BDX system illegal to use. SIG needs to update their website for sure, but they also say that at introduction in 2018 it was legal in 49/50. It also says that state laws change all the time and it is up to customer to make sure before purchasing.

That being said I am extremely unhappy with ODFW after changing up the rules for 2019 and not highlighting them as a new rule change when they propose them at the end of 2018/early 2019. I see this system being advantageous for both hunter and animals alike. SIG's main electro-optics facility is even in Oregon...

Ive had the scope and have used it. Nothing but good things to say about the clarity and how quick/responsive the BDX system works to get you on target quickly.

I want to clarify the Oregon legality here though. When this system was introduced and sales started in Summer 2018 it was legal in 49/50 states. Idaho being the one where it cannot be used. This is when I bought this system to use for hunting. I checked everywhere to make sure it was legal here in Oregon.....however it is now 2019 and our lovely ODFW created the rule change to the current law that makes the BDX system illegal to use. SIG needs to update their website for sure, but they also say that at introduction in 2018 it was legal in 49/50. It also says that state laws change all the time and it is up to customer to make sure before purchasing.

That being said I am extremely unhappy with ODFW after changing up the rules for 2019 and not highlighting them as a new rule change when they propose them at the end of 2018/early 2019. I see this system being advantageous for both hunter and animals alike. SIG's main electro-optics facility is even in Oregon...
Yeah, I heard Sig was more than a bit taken back by that move. Hopefully it gets resolved. There is no reason for them to do that, if anything, this system is more ethical, not less.

BTW, did figure out the dots stuff, each dot is actually individually configurable to whatever you need up to a max of 8 holds...so got that working and retested and it did very well as a standalone without the BDX RF.

This is a very well thought out system, it's a pity that ODFW did what they did.

The way the rule is written now seems like a direct block to the SIG system too. There are not many other reputable RF to scope systems out there if any. I know Swarovski is releasing their new smart scope as well which is now off the table in OR. I will be contacting ODFW rules admin to see if I can get a clear reason as to why they feel this tech should not be used together, but can be used separately. Knowing my exact hold over at 300-500 yds and killing my target seems better than an educated guess and wounding said animal only to never find it...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.