Sig BDX scopes

Nuclear Worker

Not sure where to post this. Looking at getting one for my wife. Thought it would be easier for her than having to dial up her scope or use hold over. She is zeroed at 200 yards and has shot out to 600. Just thought it would be easier for her this fall Elk hunting. Not having to twist turrets or hold over. She wouldn't shoot any farther than that. Has anyone used one? Wondering on quality , glass, ease of use?

I don't own one personally but a buddy of mine did the whole setup on his MRAD. We went out and threw a 200yd zero and tried to put the thing on at 1k and it was all so finicky that we just gave up and dialed like a normal scope. 1k is pretty pedestrian for us and it ended with us getting more and more frustrated (especially him since he coughed up the money for the system).

For what you're describing, elk out to 5-600 yds, I feel like it'd definitely be simpler to just zero at 200 or 300 yds and tape a little dope card to the stock and dial.

I have one of the Sierra3 BDX scopes. It seems ok but I haven't mounted it yet due to a fit issue with the mount I wanted to use. The glass seems ok, not great, not horrible.

In a few months they are supposed to start selling the new Sierra6 BDX scopes which are supposed to have better glass, 6X erectors and an updated reticle with more holdover dots. The only issue is with the Corona Virus fallout, will that "few months" be in time for her Elk.

I will probably be getting one unless Cronoa Virus wrecks my budget. With my Kestrel and Kilo3000 BDX LRF binoculars it will let me use ABX mode for firing solutions as far as the binoculars can range.

If not, I will probably get the third or fourth generation BDX scope when it really moves to the top of their product lineup.

I have one of the Sierra3 BDX scopes. It seems ok but I haven't mounted it yet due to a fit issue with the mount I wanted to use. The glass seems ok, not great, not horrible.

In a few months they are supposed to start selling the new Sierra6 BDX scopes which are supposed to have better glass, 6X erectors and an updated reticle with more holdover dots. The only issue is with the Corona Virus fallout, will that "few months" be in time for her Elk.

I will probably be getting one unless Cronoa Virus wrecks my budget. With my Kestrel and Kilo3000 BDX LRF binoculars it will let me use ABX mode for firing solutions as far as the binoculars can range.

If not, I will probably get the third or fourth generation BDX scope when it really moves to the top of their product lineup.
thanks

I don't own one personally but a buddy of mine did the whole setup on his MRAD. We went out and threw a 200yd zero and tried to put the thing on at 1k and it was all so finicky that we just gave up and dialed like a normal scope. 1k is pretty pedestrian for us and it ended with us getting more and more frustrated (especially him since he coughed up the money for the system).

For what you're describing, elk out to 5-600 yds, I feel like it'd definitely be simpler to just zero at 200 or 300 yds and tape a little dope card to the stock and dial.
Were you two using a Kestrel or Garmin paired to the system? With out one of those with applied ballistics elite the system will only give a ballistic solution out to 800 yards.

wind will be the kicker--- I do not have a bdx scope, but do have the rangefinder-- without a pair-able Bluetooth weather meter you have to input your weather data into the rangefinder manually which can skew your results especially if they change

Cameraland has Kestrel Sportsmans for $250 last I checked.

They seem to be the Bushnell CONX package model, no retail packaging.

I think they work with ABX mode with the Kilo3000BDX and Kilo2400BDX range finders. The lower price LRFs don't connect. Sig also makes a Kilo2400ABS range finder with weather built in but it's not BDX.

I think the ABX mode will allow the Kestrel to calculate long range firing solutions but if you want the upgrade to Applied Ballistics Elite, that's another $190. Elite is supposed to do better with transonic flight for really really long shots.

One more thing to consider is that the reticle only has a limited number of elevation dots. If your shot is too long and your magnification is too high, you might need more drop. I think I might solve that with a second gun model that has a full turret revolution of drop added on top of my normal zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.