Sierra matchking performance on game

Wisconsin regs state "It is illegal to:
• Hunt a deer, bear, or elk with any ammunition
other than an arrow, bolt, or bullet that is a
single projectile of an expanding design"

Match hollow point bullets are DEFINITELY of the "expanding design".
Some places its legal, some places its not. I know Burger hybrid bullets and Burger match style hunting bullets are legal, because they are designed for use on game. So the "its not legal here" doesn't really need to be repeated again really. We know. Just like we know that only mono bullets are legal in California. Where this deer was taken, the match bullet was legal, it was a well placed shot, and it was a legal kill. Its a really nice buck, too. Congratulations again on a well-placed shot.

Actually match bullets are more of the fragmenting design, any expansion is Interestingly enough consequential and some match and hunting rounds are strikingly similar, but different. I found a series of Gel tests that were sponsored by none other than Long Range Hunting. There are several tests in the series, here are a couple to take a look at:, . Are they lethal, yes I guess these tests prove that they are in fact deadly but do not necessarily expand like hunting bullets do. They are interesting videos. Enjoy

Actually match bullets are more of the fragmenting design, any expansion is Interestingly enough consequential and some match and hunting rounds are strikingly similar, but different. I found a series of Gel tests that were sponsored by none other than Long Range Hunting. There are several tests in the series, here are a couple to take a look at:, . Are they lethal, yes I guess these tests prove that they are in fact deadly but do not necessarily expand like hunting bullets do. They are interesting videos. Enjoy

But things like hornady sst bullets do not expand either they just blow up and fragment after penetrating a few inches.

But things like hornady sst bullets do not expand either they just blow up and fragment after penetrating a few inches.
isnt it amazing after 12 pages people are still worried about a name on a box instead of the performance.

I bet if sierra would box them as match hunters people will say there the best thing since sliced bread

60 Years of Big Game Hunting, using MANY different Bullets and Calibers of Rifles, and I can conclude that,.. I AGREE with, THIS ^^^
We HAVE, the BERGERS in, Elite and Classic Hunters, PLUS H-VLD'S that,.. DO an AMAZING Job of, "putting down", Big Game & usually, DRT !
There's, NO need to, shoot Sierra MK's and take,.. a "CHANCE" on, it's,.. "Performance" !
I've been there when bergers penciled through. It's been years ago. That being said, I do think they are great hunting bullets but I do check the tips now to make sure they are clear.

isnt it amazing after 12 pages people are still worried about a name on a box instead of the performance.

I bet if sierra would box them as match hunters people will say there the best thing since sliced bread
Very true. I had one bad experience with sst bullets so I have quit using them and only good experiences with smks which is why I will continue to use them. Real performance and personal confidence means much more than the name on the box.

Most match bullets fragment but its generally after about 4 to 5" of penetration, which gets the projectile past the hide, fat and ribs in to the vitals, so its a lot like having a hand grenade go off inside the chest cavity. For broad side shots that's pretty near a great outcome, because it reduces the lungs to mush. Also, some hunting bullets are designed to fragment at close quarters, but not before several inches of penetration, which again acts like a grenade or a shotgun round going off inside the animal. If you get the animal and he's down within a few yards of where you shot him, the bullet did its job whether it fragmented, expanded or just bounced around. I don't know how well the SST's work, but the Speer, Nosler and Sierra hunting bullets work just fine. I wouldn't try a Texas Heart Shot with a Matchking though, unless it was a heavy for caliber projectile like the 200 or above in the .308. But the 200 grain Gameking will go through a big mulie from front to back, and so will the Speer 200 grain HotCor. The .358 cal. Speer 250 and the Sierra 225 grain Gameking will do it on an elk. That's all I need. If I'm not at war, I don't need to shoot past 6 to 700 yards at game. But if I go to war again, I have Matchkings and Speer, Nosler and Hornady match bullets suitable for accurate shots past 1,000 yards. But I'll be loading them in 300 win mag loads or match grade 30-06 loads. If you like to hunt with Matchkings and they're legal where you hunt, that's a good thing. Bottom line-they work just fine on antelope, whitetail and mule deer. I'd go with a game bullet, and a heavy (180 grain or above ) one in .308 for elk and above just as insurance. But the Matchkings work. By the way, the Speer and Sierra 200 grain .308 bullets and the Speer and Sierra 250 and 225 grain .358 bullets tend to leave exit wounds through the hide on deer that range from tennis ball to hardball size, which means a massive sucking chest wound. Nothing goes far with collapsed lungs.

Last edited:

FMJ's are really on the naughty list.

Video of Nathan Foster annealing a berger. I may try it with an smk.

My guess is that the anneal process reduced the effects of work hardening that occurred when the ogive of the bullet was formed. The bullet was toasted for about 2 minutes with probably a propane torch at probably 2,300 plus degrees. Upon sectioning some bullets & looking at the insides I often see longitudinal ridges separated by striations at the ogive, rarely continuing to the exterior, my guess these are the beginnings of stress fractures - formed at right angles to ogive forming compression. Toasting the bullets at 2300 plus degrees would reduce the effects of work hardening and also reduce the tendency of the bullet to fragment. Good method.

My guess is that the anneal process reduced the effects of work hardening that occurred when the ogive of the bullet was formed. The bullet was toasted for about 2 minutes with probably a propane torch at probably 2,300 plus degrees. Upon sectioning some bullets & looking at the insides I often see longitudinal ridges separated by striations at the ogive, rarely continuing to the exterior, my guess these are the beginnings of stress fractures - formed at right angles to ogive forming compression. Toasting the bullets at 2300 plus degrees would reduce the effects of work hardening and also reduce the tendency of the bullet to fragment. Good method.

Bullet annealing:

A pic from Petey308 - bullet construction - shows striations - indicated by blue lines. Formed at right angles to compressive forces when ogives formed. May also contribute to bullet blow-ups upon high velocities & quick twists. Sierra bullet should be #6 from left.

Screenshot (265)_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Very true. I had one bad experience with sst bullets so I have quit using them and only good experiences with smks which is why I will continue to use them. Real performance and personal confidence means much more than the name on the box.
I hear you. I had one bad experience with a woman once, but took my white blesbuck at 430yds using a borrowed 7mag pushing a 160g SST. BOOM

Not a SMK but "Target" bullet none the less. I was given grief when I posted if anyone else used a Berger 22-55 gr Flat Base Target for chucks and varmints even though it is marketed as "Flat base target bullets are popular for shooters looking to shoot the tightest groups at short ranges but also work well for taking down varmints.". Used it in my 22-250 for a 583 yard chuck, worked just fine.
Someone I know got a 5 point FBWT deer yesterday. It was with a 55gr VMAX. DRT head shot. It certainly wouldn't be classified as a deer hunting round nor heavy enough. HOWEVER marksmanship and shot placement is everything. I've shot plenty of yotes with 68gr BTHP target projectiles. Certainly not a pelt preservation pill as it would have it.
When available I shoot monolithic pills when hunting large game. But, I wouldn't hesitate to use a non traditional pill (caliber/weight).