Sierra .277 175 TGK - Experience with 1:8 Twist?

Muddyboots

Looking at this bullet as potential for new .270 Win build 1:8 twist. Anybody shoot them with 1:8 twist and comfortable with stability? The SG calculations show on edge of stability so curious of real world use.
Thx

I've just tried a few bullets this past weekend. I started 1 gr below my 170 EOL load with a COAL of 3.36" to fit in my tikka with a prefit 1-8" twist . Having 1.5" groups at a 100 yds, 600 ft above sea level at 85 degrees. I will have to play with it more to see if it's just me, my loading or just not stable. My Berger's does under 1/2" at 200 yds so I can base it off of that.

Looks like a nice bullet but even plugging in the BC corrections for velocity table, it is still right on edge down to 1600 which is my usual stop for hunting bullet performance. If the bullet cannot work at 1600, then that kind of changes my need a bit. But then again if shooting 600 or less on lease farm in IN, it might be fine.

Which is why I am going with the 156 HH first as the go to bullet of choice. I think it is going to be a really good all around bullet for the build.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.