Side Arm for Grizzly Country

Buffalo bore usually makes some good bear defence loads. Heavy hardcast lead is what I'd go for. Your 357 will work.

Here in AK I do hunt in brown bear territory and I carry a 6" barreled 10mm. Lots carry glock 20s up here, I carry a RIA double stack 1911 as that's what I shoot the best (by far) for point shooting, accuracy, and rapid follow up consistency, and it gives me 16+1.

A 9MM that you're fast, accurate, and consistent with is better bear defence than a 500s&w that you're slow and not comfortable with in my opinion.

There are also studies that show bear spray is more effective and stopping a charging bear than a 12ga slug. Might be worth picking up a can

Just use your 357 !
I have lived in Montana for over 15 years ..I hunt in prime Grizzly Country most time solo. Never had any trouble with the Grizz .
I tracked one for two hrs once ..hoping to get a look see ..I relize that wasnt the best thing to do but what a Rush it was ! Check that one off my Bucket list !!
I dont carry Spray , I'm set up with a Glock SF 20 . It shoots amazing with hard cast rounds. As stated above Buffalo Bore makes fine Bear Ammo for your 357 . Just practice some before your trip !
Oh and injoy your journey my Friend !!
My picture tells a story ! I still wonder what the heck I was thinking ! Ha ha

Rum Man

Surprisingly bear spray proves to be more effective than firearms (I never used to believe that until someone showed me the data). That being said I would carry he largest caliber you're comfortable with using hard cast rounds. Buffalo Bore does put out some good ammo. I have a co-worker than stumbled on a bear in Alaska (I do not recall what kind it was) and he killed it with a 9mm handgun, mainly because that is all he had. I'd personally opt for 44 mag or I'd carry my 4" S&W 500 but that is just me.

I am going on a horseback Mule Deer hunt in Grizzly Country. I will be with a guide. I am told that it is advisable to have a side arm for protection from the grizzly bears. The simple choice looks to be a 44 mag, with hard cast bullets, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys are using, and what advantages and disadvantages you have seen. I am limited in the weight that I can carry, so that is a consideration. I have a 6" S&W 357 Wheel gun, and hoping it is reasonable to use that for protection.
I would first make sure the guide / outfitter is good with you packing a sidearm. Some may not trust a client they don't know to have a pistol on them and in camp.

I'm assuming you're going archery hunting and that's why you're asking? If so, then I'd get a "Gunslinger" chest holster, a Glock 20 with fiber optice sights (I went with green) and Buffalo Bore ammo.

If not archery, then I'd have my rifle near at all times, 99.9999% of all people are more effective with a rifle or bear spray than they are with a handgun!

Just a thunk

I had a 44 mag and found it too heavy And bulky for me. In fact, I found myself leaving it at the camp so I did not have to pack it. Now, I carry a Glock in 10 MM which has a bunch more rounds than any wheel gun. I also use hard cast Bullets. To each their own.

I too recently switched. A couple of weeks ago, I went into my local Scheels to check on powder but ended up with this (Glock 40 MOD with 6" barrel) ...

Glock 40 MOD 10MM 1 of 2.jpg
Glock 40 MOD 10MM 2 of 2.jpg

My 1st 2 shots at 20' just barely missed the bullseye. Did 3-15 rapid-fire and most are in an 8" pie plate group. Very happy with it packed it up and went home. 😇

You're fine with your existing pistol. Choose the right ammo. Most importantly, practice for a defensive, surprise encounter.

I think that position will be with your head up your -----....cause that's the opportune time that it always happens...that and when you're last in line...or first in line...or the middle...
Because opportunity is decided by predator...not the prey....

Side note, I'm not much of a You Tuber but there's a great video showing a fella shooting a G20 and then a big wheel gun. So interesting to see how much quicker the one is to get back on target!

If that doesn't encourage one to go to a G20 or G40 then I don't know what would.

If I was smart to know how to post the video I would, but alas I'm not overly techy:(

Buffalo Bore hard cast. Personally I love my 44 mountain gun!- Been shooting it for over 20 years so I have a little confidence in it!-- But those hot 300 s sure get my attention! Might be time to back down a couple of grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.