Siamese Mauser

rebelcountry27

Hello all, I have a Siamese Mauser action that I would like to turn into a nice rifle. The action has been untouched, and looking for options on chamberings. Any and all options appreciated, just not a 45-70

It wouldn't be a super long range cartridge but the 7.62x54R will fit without any mods to the action or magazine/boltface or the 30-40 Krag in a wildcat form 6mm, 25 krag, 35 krag or 30-40 improved.

Then you have the .348 or one of its wildcat version, 450 Alaskan.

Unfortunately the stock is strictly custom, unless someone has started making an inlet for it, since the last time I modded one, which was 20 yrs ago.

It's designed for a rimmed cartridge which will make it a bit hard to work with.

I did one for my dad that had a sporter process started, before he got it, so no rifle of collectible value was sacrificed, but as a LR rifle there are better base actions to use.

I would say to go with the 7x57R, but in an AI configuration. You can get decent brass that way. With RL-26 and Berger 175 EH's, you can achieve .280 Remington class ballistics at moderate pressure, which your action can easily withstand. I am running that bullet and powder in a Ruger #1A 7x57. Getting 2750 from a 22" barrel. If you plug those numbers into a ballistics calculator, I believe you will find that such a combo is capable of reaching out a considerable distance.

Along the same lines, 7x65R may also be worth consideration. I am not sure of the dimensions of the Siamese Mauser. But, if it has a 3.3" mag box, like most other mausers, it should easily work with either the 7x57R or the 7x65R.

BTW, RWS sells brass in the U.S. for 6.5x57R, 6.5x65R, 7x57R, and 7x65R. This stuff is known to be on par with Lapua for strength and toughness.

I don't have any data for the 25 krag anymore, it was a cartridge my dad had in a Krag rifle in his youth and he talked about it, but I really don't remember much.

The magazine length is maxed out at just above 3 inch, the action is actually .250 shorter than a standard M98 Mauser, if you want to play with the original 8x52R Siamese you can form brass from the 45-70, though you have to turn the rim to .560 diameter trim brass to 2.04" need a set of 33 wcf dies and use an 8mm die to set the shoulder back or purchase a set of custom dies, alot of work .

8x52R Siamese rim diameter of .561 with an overall of 2.925

To use the .348 you will need to open up the bolt face, but the 30-40 should require no modifications, you must also remember that this action is limited to about 45,000 PSI breach pressure (I think that should be CUP, but am unable to find my old notes).

I will dig around in my junk/network with a few friends and see if I can dig up some info on the .25 Krag.

Hope this helps

Following have info on the .25 Krag and variants: Cartridges of the world, Handloaders manual of cartridge conversions and Wildcat Cartridges Volume 2.

At it's low point the load is equivalent to the .250 Savage at the higher intensity/action strength .25-06 level.

Definitely nothing to sneeze at and since you have a rimmed action, a 30-40 krag wildcat seems easiest .

Would the assumption be that it would be best with the lighter/shorter bullets in the .25 krag versions? I would be perfectly happy with ballistics that match the standard.257 Roberts. My other option I had in mind was the .35-.348 ackley because I would like a good short range heavy hitter, but not sure of any recent loads being used

The data seems to be reliant on the barrel twist the 25 Krag std used 87 gr (3000) and 100 (2550) the improved version seemed to use the 117 and 120 at 3100 fps +-. So you could if wanting to go after strictly varmint barrel for the lighter bullet or use a twist capable of stabilising the heavier one and find which lightweight bullet will shoot.

According to the aforementioned handloaders manual of cartridge conversion, the .35/348 used a 250 gr bullet, ahead of 32 gr IMR4064 Source JJD, it is not a .348 wildcatt that I have ever played with, .450 Alaskan and .50 Alaskan in single shots and lever guns I have some experience, but more inline as close range heavy hitters.

I forsee a fair bit of research ahead of you, hope what I gave you is of help.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.