SHV 5-20 vs. NXS 5-22

Phillygunner

Do any of you guys have both the NXS and the SHV? If so, how do you think the SHV stacks up compared to the NXS? I have an NXS that I like quite a bit. I'm thinking of buying an SHV. I definitely like the MOAR reticle.

What are your thoughts about the SHV for long range hunting or clanging steel?

If cost is of no concern than the NXS is the way to go. I have both and like both. Great glass, both track equally well, same reticle. SHV turrets do feel a little mushy but adjustments are precise.

I don't care for the fast focus eye piece and would prefer a 50mm over the 56mm.
The zero set on the SHV works fine and the turrets work fine but the zero stop and feel of the turrets on the NXS are better.

So if you have the money and don't need it for something else I would get the NXS. If you want to save some money and don't NEED the upgraded options of the NXS than there is nothing wrong with the SHV.

The bushnell LRHS is as close to a perfect hunting scope that I have used but I did not like the FFP, reticle is useless below 5 power to my eyes. Make that scope in a SFP with 1 MOA spacing and it would be almost perfect IMO.

One difference explained to me was the elevation turret clicks, the SHV is rated for about 10,000 clicks before wearing out, which I believe can be replaced! The NXS are rated for over 100,000. The guy explaining this to me sells them for a living and usually seems to know what he's talking about!

One difference explained to me was the elevation turret clicks, the SHV is rated for about 10,000 clicks before wearing out, which I believe can be replaced! The NXS are rated for over 100,000. The guy explaining this to me sells them for a living and usually seems to know what he's talking about!

You'd be surprised how full of "it" people are that sell those things for a living. :roll eyes:

Have you seen the way they test those things? You should call NF and ask for a brochure that explains how they construct them.... I will never shoot another scope IF I do not have to.

You can pick up the SHV and tell it is NOT the same caliber scope. The biggest thing that helped them cut cost is that the lenses are not bonded like the NXS, saves a lot of time.

If you get the MOAR and like the hold over than why not? I try to stay off the knobs if there not exactly "built for it" so to speak....

JMO

Thanks for the response, good to know! I'll have to give them a call, I like hearing about all the little things these companies do to cheapen things! I will say the sales guy who I have known for awhile usually knows his stuff, shoots Nightforce in long range shoots, it will be interesting to find out a little on them, thanks again!

I don't mind the capped turrets. in fact I wish every target scope came with capped windage turrets. at least this keeps the turrets from getting bumped.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.