Should I Be Satisfied

memtb

First, a little history: I gave my son my, long retired Model 88 Win. .308. The rifle at one time, with careful handloading, was capable of 1" 5 shot groups. But, the stock was prone to severe warpage seasonally. The rifle also has, a fore end screw. My remedy, back in the seventies, was "extreme" opening of the barrel channel. It worked, but looked like H%!!. Then to improve grouping, I started experimenting with fore end pressure point, with shims. Because of shims and very open channel, to improve appearance, I filled channel with stained accurasglass and tried to give it approx. 10 lbs. fore end pressure. History lesson now complete!! I'm tasked with building a load for my son's rifle, who is NOT a rifle loon and not really a hunter. I'm putting together what will probably be a "lifetime" supply of hunting/shooting ammo. My goal, build a load with one bullet s load that he could use for any purpose that he may desire. As I am a Barnes "fanatic",I chose a 150 TTSX. So, here's my problem. I can't get it to do better than 1" to 1 1 /4" three shot groups. Funding is limited as well as components, so, should I be satisfied? memtb

Well, that depends. Be honest with the situation. Does the current accuracy fall within the necessity of your needs? Yes? Then roll with it. If not, keep trying.

You mention the shooter is not much of a hunter, that tells me that shots will most likely not be of particularly long range. 1" groups seem adequate there....

You also mentioned the gent isn't a "rifle nut" (or something similar), which means trips to the range with said rifle will probably be few and far between... even if you are able to achieve the ultimate in accuracy that we all aspire to... can this gent shoot to that degree?

t

To me with the info you supplied the short answer is. Yes be satisfied. You could spend a fair amount of money on reloading supplies and never get any better results and it sounds like the rifle and load will work fine for its intended purpose, for now at least. Good luck and be safe.

Thanks guys, That's kinda where I'm at on this, I guess that I needed to clear my conscience. I think that I could do better, but, would the ends justify the means? I think not!! memtb

Same answer... yes. You gave him a rifle, ammo and your time trying to find a load. If he's into it, he can decide if it's good enough. If he's not, a 1/4 moa here or there isn't going to make any difference to him.

Sounds like you've got a fine shooter there. I'd be pretty happy with any hunting rifle shooting 1 MOA, especially if it's not a 2K-4K custom rig.

The Model 88 was made as a short range "brush gun" or "truck gun". You can help that wood stock a lot by keeping it well oiled with boiled linseed oil, tung oil or similar oil. It will probably drink up quite a lot of it when you first start and then settle down.

If it's shooting under 2" at 100yds it's exceeding what it was designed to do so you should be very happy.

How well does it shoot core-lokts? Based on info, if they shoot ok I wouldn't even bother w/ reloading unless I had excess supply of powder and bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.