Should be buying my first SP this week.

dust

After spending way too long thinking about it and putting it off, I have all but decided to pickup a 10/22 based pistol. It's not a superultraloudenboomer like some shoot here, but I wanted to see if it was for me before full committing to centerfire ammo that I don't already have.

Right now the front runner is a $450 to my FFL used but "98%" Ruger Charger with Kidd 2.5 lb. trigger group, stock plastic trigger gruop, and Burris 2.5-7 pistol scope. The other thought is the TI Rebel with sidecharging handle.

Here is the plan so far.

Sell the pistol scope and the plastic trigger group and keep the kidd, or sell the kidd and send the plastic group to Brimstone.

One stock barrel threaded and maybe setback for plinking, with a lightweight minimalistic stock and small red dot.

One 8-10" 17hm2 barrel for hunting(from reading will only lose 1-200 fps, and the recoil impulse shouldn't effect the bolt enough to need a heavier handle etc),

Third barrel would be a full 16"+ barrel for target and hunting.

Rifle scope if I don't like the pistol scope, which I really don't think I will.

After reading about the ATF's judgement on switching, I know that if I don't like it as a pistol, because it started as a pistol and is marked as such on the receiver, I can put a rifle barrel and stock on it legally.

If anyone has comments or suggestions, please let me know.

I think you should do what ever it takes to get your first LR handgun! You appear to have.thought it through pretty good. I don't know much about 10-22's to give any advise, so all I an say is do what works for you!
Just have fun with what ever you end up with!gun)

Rupe

Sounds to me like you have a plan. Be fair warned, once you get into this LR pistol stuff, you may never go back:D My rifles have all sat idle, and my safe has filled with XP-100's chambered in 20 Vartarg on up to a 6.5-.284. Every one of them will shoot sub 1/2 MOA any day of the week. The Charger has been dis-continued, so if you decided that you didn't care for the pistol game, you could always sell it and get your $ back on it. It's a fairly popular gun with the small bore pistol silhouette crowd right now.
Try it, you'll like it!gun)

-mike

Like said before once you can see the pistol can do more than you the rifles will sit idol. Just do not make my mistake and sell most of them or years latter you will be buying more .Bob.

Got it home after it sat almost a week because the shipping FFL didn't send my contact information.

I can't see where the 2% is. It's amazing looking, on the outisde at least.

I pulled the bolt, it looks like the rings of a tree. Sent it off to Que for some radiusing, polishing, and firing pin and extractor work. Took some sandpaper to the interior of the receiver. I was afraid to put a bare finger inside the thing. Knocked off alot of the burrs etc, and ordered a Kidd charging handle and buffer. Bolt should be back soon, and then I will try to get it to a range to test it out.

Gonna focus on the 17hm2 barrel first. I was thinking about the short barrel, and using the stock barrel, but shortening and threading is gonna cost just a little less than a kidd 6" barrel. Gonna wait a while before I do anything.

EGW makes a 15 MOA base, and will supposedly make them with more MOA for a little more money. Thinking about a 30-40 MOA due to the possible barrel droop, and the MOA range of the scope I am considering using. I will see how the stock barrel works out first.

You are going to be having some fun shortly! SP's are so much fun, but yes he is right don't get rid of any of your rifles, you will be sorry. Take it from someone that wishes he had kept a couple.

Rupe

IMGP0081_zpsc307f413.jpg

Scope is off, and for sale if anyone is interested. Just pulled the barrel off, and might have a machinist thread it, or chop it then thread it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.