Shot The Allen Mags Sunday

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well we finally got out to shoot the new 270's this weekend. Me and BJ got to our shooting spot only to have it start raining. We decided to set up in one our large barns and shoot out into a bank about 75yds away. After a couple of warm up shots BJ printed a 3 shot 1 hole group with his Allen Mag.

We couldn't figure out the proper method for measuring this group would be so I just measured the outside of the overall tear and it was .442.

Well after this I had to show what my rifle could do so I cleaned it and fired 3 rounds. my group was just a hair bigger than BJ's. My first shot was a oily barrel and the shot landed just a little low, the next two went in the same hole about .2 of inch above the first shot.

We were both pretty impressed and we were getting chrono readings around 3140fps with 97gr of WC872 below the 169.5gr WildCat RBBT ULD.

I also shot my 25-06 with some 115gr berger vld's moly coated and h4350. I started at 47gr and loaded up to 51gr. All the loads shot under 1" with 51gr shooting just about 1/2" overall. I was pretty happy with this and I never got any pressure signs. I am gonna go shoot again today and see what kinda groups I can get at 300yds with the 51gr load. I have also loaded up to 53grs to test the max load with.

After this was all over I was dying to try and shot something at some kind of decent range. The rain stopped just long enough for me hang our gong up at 400yds and I drove back up to our shooting spot. I didn't know what drop to be expecting so I just dialed in 6 clicks up and 0 for the wind which was virtually still. I have no idea why I didnt calculate more drop because my ballistics program calls for about 4 moa.

I fired the first shot and BJ said he heard something hit but the gong didn't move. I fired the second shot and the gong dropped to the ground. I aimed toward the gond laying on the ground and my third shot landed in front of it an skipped into it. As we were driving down to the gong I realized how little drop I had figured in and when we got to the gong we saw the result. The first two shoots had cut the t-post the gong was hung from in half. Both shots had landed within less than a inch from each other. i wish all three shots would have been on paper so I could measure th egroup but either way I was pretty impressed.

While we were setting at our shooting spot I broke out the swaro range finder so I could how far it would range. On a distant tree line I got back to back readings of 1991 and 1990yds. I am going to try again tonight and see if I can get it to range 2000yds.

Here is a pic of BJ's 3 shot 1 hole group.
Picture001.jpg

I will try and get some pics of the groups I shoot tonight.

Take it easy
Steve

lerch:

Sounds like you're finally getting some trigger time with the new 270 AM's. Too bad the weather didn't co-operate. We were out Saturday doing some shooting and the humidity was 38.4% and it was bright, sunny and hot. Saw some really nice bucks and got to do quite a bit of shooting.

Hopefully you guys will get everything fire-formed and start with some serious long range shooting and testing. Keep us posted on the results because my hunting partner has a 270 AM coming so hopefully we can learn a lot ahead of time from your shooting and testing.

Now just keep putting them all in the same hole when you stretch the yardage out and then the PD's will really be in trouble.

How do you like your stock so far?

So far, I really like my Ult. Sniper. It is a bit bulky but it handles great off of a bench. I put some lead in the stock to make it a bit heavier. Right now the gun weighs in @ 22 lbs!!! Not much for off hand shooting but so far, I it is a dream to shoot off of a bench.

Bill shot sunday and finished his break in finally. I did freakin house work all weekend so I missed out. I will go shoot tomorrow weather permitting. Hopefully I will finish mine being broke in.

Thanks
Steve

I went out yesterday to finish the break in. I couldn't Lerch's lazy butt out of bed so I went on my own.

It was a perfect morning, cool, cloudy and not much wind to speak of.

I got her zeroed @ 100 yds and after shooting a few groups, all of which measured under 3/4 moa including the clean bbl shots, I decided to put up a target @ 500 and a coyote silo @ 660 yds. I pulled out my palm w/exbal only to find that the batteries had crapped out so I had to guess the comeups.

Since I had to guess, I decided to shoot @ the metal coyote so I would know if I hit it. I dialed in 9.5 moa and let 3 fly. No ring, nothing. I decided that maybe the wind was blowing more than I thought and maybe I was shooting high, so dialed down a couple of clicks and aimed @ the coyotes butt. Still nothing.

After shooting a while longer I went to pick up the targets and low and behold there were 3 holes in the vitals of the coyote about 3" apart!!!! Upon closer inspection I also saw that I had hit him in the back foot with one of my other shots!!!

All in all it was a good productive day. Now I've just got to shoot about 90 more fireforming rounds and then the fun can begin!!!

Bill either your deaf, or your metal coyote is made of aluminum foil! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, you need lerch as a spotter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Just use real coyotes then you know when you hit or miss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifHUH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't know how thick the metal is, but I can tell you not very. Maybe my muffs don't turn back on in time. It put nice round holes in it though!!!

As far as the spotter goes, I couldn't get him up. He finally called @ 11:30 when I was packing up!!! Oh well, he really needs his beauty sleep!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Bill either your deaf, or your metal coyote is made of aluminum foil! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should shoot in lower light conditions and you can actually see the glowing fireball when you shoot metal targets.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.