SHOT Show 2016, ELR and ELR-related Products, Day 1

ELR Researcher

SHOT Show 2016, ELR and ELR-related Products, Day 1:

Did something a bit different this year. I went to specific booths throughout the show that I had particular interest in. I normal wall-tp-wall one hall at a time. Turned up more interesting and I actually covered more ground (hall-wise) than normal - the show-wide booths plus most on the LE/Mil sections. I only talk to folks about ELR and ELR-related, so no info on other products. "NN" denotes "nothing new" - so you see what booths I visited but found nothing that had not already turned up in one of my weekly site-update recaps. Pics ("Pics") to follow on the weekend on my site, way too much hassle to get them reviewed, cropped and onto a site that has decent bandwidth. So here goes, in alpha order.

1. American Rifle Company - NN

2. Armalite - NN

3. Barrett - the only new "hardware" was the addition of a .338 caliber suppressor (plus others, smaller). Very "conventional" looking, not like their current .50 cal model.

4. Berger - NN [Still no hard commitment of when they will launch a .375 caliber Hybrid OTM.]

5. CheyTac - was showing the prototype of the Jim Erwin "Kraken" signature 375 CT rifle with Proof carbon-wrapped barrel. 13# with optics! Pics.

6. Cutting Edge - NN [Dan, the Pres, Smitchko was kind enough explain why their tipped, LAZER projectile line has lower BCs than their MTAC and MTH lines - the culprits are the large nose cavity and the lighter weight and different weight distribution from the tips. Software simulations did not tell them that, only live-fire testing/real-world measurement.]

7. Defiance - NN [The control feed/CF action they showed last year, but is still not on their website, is in production...but no 338 LM-class versions. Mausingfield currently owns this space, virtually uncontested, save for the possibility of using up the few remains parts for McMillan to build their now-discontinued, CF, G30 action.]

8. Drake Associates - beyond showing a very reasonably priced, Savage-SKU'd, rifle in 338 LM, they announced and are showing implementations of their patent-pending "TITAN Barrel System", a Titanium overlay on a stainless steel core barrel that is claimed to be as much as 45% lighter than typical SS barrels. The samples in their booth were very impressive! They advised that they are going into the barrel business with this tech, possibly including selling blanks. This could be very big.

9. Elite Iron - is showing a version of their Revolution bipod with horizontal panning. Current Revolutions are upgradable via part swap. Availability - Summer. Pics.

10. Haenel (Germany) - never heard of these guys, right? I suspect AI (Accuracy International) wishes the German Government hadn't either. In a major competition for the German Army (late '15), Haenel's G29 (mil-speak for their RS9 338 LM, commercially-available, sniper rifle) came in first and won that contract. An interesting note, the Haenel G29 fired 4000 (4K) rounds without losing more than 10 m/sec muzzle velocity from first to 4000th round AND without losing spec accuracy! They build virtually everything themselves in their own facilities, including actions and barrels. Caracal (UAE) will be their US-importer. Timing (availability), TBD based on SHOW Show response. Seriously dynamite product! [Eurooptic, jump on this. Please!] Final note, Caracal has their own "competing" .338 LM sniper rifle (the CS338)...which was not on display. Pics.

11. Hornady - NN [need different equipment to move to .375 - .408-sized projectiles (their newer designs)...but "on the radar".]

12. IWI (Israel) - NN [they confirmed they have a couple of their DAN sniper rifles in the US but nothing firm on when a commercial offering will appear.]

13. Kahles - has adopted a dedicated, left-side windage turret; added the SKMR 3 mil reticle for their K624i model. Info just added to their site - http://www.kahles.at/fileadmin/kahles/Downloads/pdf_int/KAHLES_USACatalog_2016.pdf

14. Lapua - NN

15. Leupold - added a Horus TReMoR3 reticle option for some of their Mark 6 and Mark 8 scopes. Has also gotten into training business with their own 2200m-capable facility and "PSR-1" class which will accommodate shooting to that distance. The new effort is called the "Leupold Optics Academy." NOTE: when I just went to see whether there was a "Leupold Opics Academy" web page on the Leupold main site (there isn't one), I found that I had been misled by their booth staff...and there are more 2016 products. See https://www.leupold.com/new-products/

16. Manners/MCS - is showing their new "competition" mini-chassis (adds an integrated extension to the front of their current mini-chassis to use to support attachment of a tripod or barricade).

17. McMillan Firearms/Surgeon - the McMillan TAC 50 and the Surgeon Remedy now have Cadex-chassis options. Pics (McMillan).

18. NECO - as usual, they had updates to QuickLOAD and QuickTARGET. Labeled "JAN 2016", QL includes the recently announced Hornady ELD projectiles.

19. Oehler - NN [System 88 - for BC development work - still not on their site.] Pic of layout so folks can at least see what is actually shipping to get excellent BC data.

20. Pacific Tool & Gauge/PTG (Dave Kiff) - first product tech side. PTG has developed a new reamer design they refer to as "multi-helix". As point of reference, Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc./LRI had me specify this tech for a reamer I'm having PTG build for me (and which LRI will be using to chamber a couple of barrels for me - to use with my end-of-March, single-shot, Mausingfield action). Suffice to say, Chad is VERY high on this tech. Per Dave Kiff, it takes the useful life of a reamer (before regrind) from 300-350 chamberings to 5K (5000) chamberings. Beyond the multi-helix "configuration, these reamers are carbide with a PTG-developed, very special coating called "Inferno". I did not try to get Dave to parse down the productivity improvement attributable to each of the individual "pieces" (multi-helix, carbide, and the Inferno). OK, now to rifle hardware - PTG was showing their own design actions in the show (4-5 models), small stuff by my reckoning. These actions are NEW and NOT blueprinted Rem 700s! And...come Summer (2016) they will be adding .338 LM-sized AND CheyTac-sized actions. Mr. Stiller is about to lose his current CT action monopoly. [Ask your current CT action supplier before you question the "monopoly" quip.]

21. Schmidt & Bender - their "Digital" line was on display (2 models)...and they are actively working with Vectronix to pair their products via Bluetooth. Their "Digital" vision (capture of LRF and environmental data and displaying it in the view through their scopes) is "open platform", supposedly available to all those that want to marry up with their implementation...and are willing to meet their functional and quality expectations. They feel this is a more doable and less expensive approach to getting that info to the shooter, in the scope. Availability...'16? Pics.

22. Serbu - showing a VERY innovative rifle, the RN-50. A collaborative design between Serbu and "YouTube celeb Royal Nonesuch" (the RN in the model name), this is a "modified break-action design with screw-on breech cap" in .50 cal, exposed hammer and all. Intro price is $875 for a complete rifle less AR-style buttstock and bipod (as displayed). ALSO willing to sell it sans barrel for barreling (through your choice of 3rd party) in your choice of cartridges based on the .50 BMG. Pics.

23. Sierra - NN [a tipped version in .375...'17?]

24. Steyr - NN [the HS 460, while not "discontinued", is not on their website (or in their latest catalog), is "not active", and is "not in production." Really hard to build interest for a rifle that never had commercially-available ammo.]

25. Velocity Tactics - while they still have yet to post (website) info on their SHOT-Show-2015-released solid-copper projectiles, they are already into even sleeker designs (in copper) with a G1 BC of 1.10 for the .338 caliber (availability, 3-4 weeks). And...they are were showing a 247 gr, .338 caliber, brass projectile with a G1 BC of 1.61 (one-point-six-one). Availability, longer than 3-4 weeks. Their .375s are "this year"...and they are thinking .50 cal beyond '16. Pic.

Sorry for typos and any incoherent content, I'm beat.

Enjoy!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.