Shorter barrel on 26 Nosler or 6.5 SAUM 4s?

Not sure what your idea of within a hair is but I have a creed , a 6.5 saum and a 260 rem . I promise you the saum is much faster than creed and a good 200 fps faster than the 260 in the rifles I own . All wear 24 inch barrels and all shooting Thier best about a grain and a half off of first pressure sign . Definitely go with the saum if you handling. If shooting factory I would go 260 for hunting which you mentioned. Only advantage to the creed is cheaper ammo if you don't handload.

Well most Creeds will run within 50FPS of a 260 give or take. So a SAUM is ROUGHLY 250 FPS faster than a Creed in a 24' barrel. That difference will be SLIGHTLY smaller in a 22" like the OP mentioned. Yes this COULD be significant but 99.9% of the time it won't be for 50% more powder, lots more blast and throat wear.
I'm a big case guy too and have never heard of too much speed or power but large cases NEED more barrel length to work as INTENDED.
Personally I would vote SAUM but with a 28" tube or the Nosler with a 32. The OPs specs are just sorta contradictory with the cases listed versus the rifle specs.
22" barrels+ overbore rigs=Less than ideal results.
Match the case to the rig or accept the compromises I guess. A 7SAUM or 300 SAUM would be more SENSIBLE with a 22" tube.
Of course when did anyone say something needs to be sensible to be fun or kill stuff dead?

Well most Creeds will run within 50FPS of a 260 give or take. So a SAUM is ROUGHLY 250 FPS faster than a Creed in a 24' barrel. That difference will be SLIGHTLY smaller in a 22" like the OP mentioned. Yes this COULD be significant but 99.9% of the time it won't be for 50% more powder, lots more blast and throat wear.
I'm a big case guy too and have never heard of too much speed or power but large cases NEED more barrel length to work as INTENDED.
Personally I would vote SAUM but with a 28" tube or the Nosler with a 32. The OPs specs are just sorta contradictory with the cases listed versus the rifle specs.
22" barrels+ overbore rigs=Less than ideal results.
Match the case to the rig or accept the compromises I guess. A 7SAUM or 300 SAUM would be more SENSIBLE with a 22" tube.
Of course when did anyone say something needs to be sensible to be fun or kill stuff dead?

Saum with h1000 and a 24 inch barrel is really something special , if you wanna shoot the 150 plus grain bullets then the barrel length will help more than with the 140 class bullets , I been all through 6.5 cals , this combo is a winner .

Those 2 extra inches (26" bbl) really make that much difference in the 26 Nosler? Interesting. I wouldn't have thought it made that much difference but that's exactly why I asked.
I really think that those big Nosler cartridges, along with stw sized cases & bigger are optimal in a 26" or longer. You could probably get 3200 fps from the 26 Nosler with a 140 in a 22" with no problems. In a 24", you may be able to get close to 3200 with a 6.5 saum 24" with a 140 but I think it's going to be close to max. I am working on a 6.5 gap 4s myself but I haven't got it together yet. I was wanting to go 264 win mag but a short action is what I had to work with. Don't let me sway you on what you want but I think the creature habits of the 6.5 gap/saum 4s will be a lot easier to live with than the 26 Nosler as far as hand loading & load development. All that being said, if you want to be sure you get over 3200 fps with the 140 in a 22-24" then 26 Nosler will be the way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.