Short Barreled SS

grinnergetter

Has anyone tried one ? I've pretty much convinced myself that a 6.5 SS is going to be it.

16.5 Proof, Mausingfield, TT, Manners.

Would like to see some load data for short barrel's if anyone has some to share. If there is a thread somewhere already, please let me know.

Thanks

Yep, there it is and no, I just got done fireforming today.

Attachments

• 6.5 SS.jpg
    6.5 SS.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 98
55.5 rl23
2980ish

Can only fire one at a time or else bolt will lock up at that charge. This is my second 6.5ss and I've never been able to achieve velocity near what most get.
Copy that, I seem to live in the same boat with my edge also. I better load a few more as 55.5 was going to be my starting load this morning. Thanks for possibly saving me some grief.

Thankfully it does not appear this barrel is a slow poke, Ran up to 57.6 @ 2820 and it looks close to maxing out. No bolt issues but last round has just a small swipe, i assume is from bolt stop groove in face. More fun next week.

I am in the same conundrum I currently have a 338 SS 20" barrel and looking at getting a carbon fiber spun up at 16-17" I run a can which helps with velocity my current load is 200 grain bulldozer with varget 57.5 with mv at 2845 SD 10 .02 off the lands.

Also found that the larger the caliber the less velocity loss is per inch of barrel. I also built a 20" 375 short Alaskan mag plan on running Barnes flat base tsx on em I wouldn't hesitate to go after Alaskan browns with this!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 34
I am in the same conundrum I currently have a 338 SS 20" barrel and looking at getting a carbon fiber spun up at 16-17" I run a can which helps with velocity my current load is 200 grain bulldozer with varget 57.5 with mv at 2845 SD 10 .02 off the lands.
You'll get pretty heavy carbon fouling in a can with that short a barrel. Also check the minimum barrel length your can manufacturer recommends. Most people rate a short mag at 18". Muzzle psi is higher the shorter you go, plus typical Sherman loads are on high side of pressure already.

A can does not help velocity in any meaningful way. 10-16fps is the norm. About the same as a 1/2" of barrel length.

That being said, I have a 20" 6.5SS. Love it running suppressed. But the loss of 121fps from my 26" 6.5SS with the exact same load and suppressor is a bit disheartening. If I lived where it was really thick hunting, the 20" would make more sense. But out west, not as much. It was a whim build, and I don't think I would go that short again.

I get good enough speeds though. And it is stupid accurate.
130 OTM @ 3076fps
140 Hyb @ 3034fps
156 Elite @ 2916fps