Short barreled mountain rifle

Joefrazell

Looking to get a barrel for my origin for lightweight backpack hunting. I'm going to do a steel barrel in a pretty light countour and will be either doing a 18" or maybe a 16.5". My debate is this. Should I do a 6.5 prc and shoot a 130 grain. I believe I'd get around 2800-2850. Or should I do a 7 saum and shoot a 150 gr. getting similar velocities hopefully. Both the bc's of these weight ranges with similar bullets will be close to the same around the .550 range. My targets will be deer, elk, black bear and some steel. I will keep the hunting ranges to around 600 yards. What's everyone's thoughts on cartridge and barrel length? Any input from this with a short barrel would be much appreciated! Thx

I do have brass and supplies for both cartridges currently.

Joe,
I actually had my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel cut down to 18.5 from 22 so it would be more balanced with my can. I was pretty skeptical at first but I have taken white tail deer at 200+ yards and do not regret it at all. So I bet if you went 6.5 PRC it would be more then sufficient. Hope I helped a little

You don't need 30" barrels to ethically shoot big game. 16"-20" in just about any cartridge you choose in a custom gun will be more than adequate to 600-1000 yds depending on choice

Looking to get a barrel for my origin for lightweight backpack hunting. I'm going to do a steel barrel in a pretty light countour and will be either doing a 18" or maybe a 16.5". My debate is this. Should I do a 6.5 prc and shoot a 130 grain. I believe I'd get around 2800-2850. Or should I do a 7 saum and shoot a 150 gr. getting similar velocities hopefully. Both the bc's of these weight ranges with similar bullets will be close to the same around the .550 range. My targets will be deer, elk, black bear and some steel. I will keep the hunting ranges to around 600 yards. What's everyone's thoughts on cartridge and barrel length? Any input from this with a short barrel would be much appreciated! Thx

I do have brass and supplies for both cartridges currently.
I run a 16" 6.5 saum and with RL26 I'm getting north of 2900 with 144 bergers, 2775 with the 156 EOL.
I also have an 18" improved 7-300 wsm sending 175/180s at 2800 fps.
Personally I'd go with the 7 saum and shoot 168 vlds or 162 eldx, 2800 should be easy at 16-18"

Recent Posts