• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED shopping for 30-378 accumark

If I was going to spend all the money to get one of the Weatherbys in the big 378 case, I would get the 338-378. It is at another level when it comes to knock down at any range you are capable of shooting. Your barrel life would also be longer in a 338 than a 30 cal.

Agreed. Bought one used recently in this caliber to use for long range elk. If he really wants the hardest hitting one, look at the 338-378.

FYI, the Weatherby Mark V trigger can easily be adjusted for pull weight and if you wish you can swap trigger springs for a lighter pull. I own several, and they all have a great trigger with minimal modifications. The Vanguard has a history of an "iffy" trigger and I've replaced all of mine with Timneys.

Look at buying the brass and then reload for this caliber. For the price of 1 box of factory loaded shells you can have a fair amount of brass and get going on your own. I have no intention of ever buying a box of $125 ammo for this rifle and was happy to get 100+ cases with the package. I had them annealed and now it's ready to go.

Good luck with your decision.

Got my accumark in today in 338-378, loaded up some 300gn berger's with 94.5gn of H1000 and man did it shoot sweet. Less recoil than my .270!! The accubrake works well.. Other than expensive brass this is a great rifle. But if you want the best you gotta fork out the mula.

That 30-378 would be a great choice if you want to shoot 30 cal.

Remington Actions are easier to manufacture (According to what i read). I hear that the 9 recoil lugs is harder to machine, and the bolts are more complex. Not saying people are cutting corners but if they are able to get a good rifle using a remington style action then thats great when they can save a lot of money in machining.

.338-.378 for sure a good round but here we go again to split hairs between a
.338RUM and the now famous .338edge by the way an excellent design.
Seen a lot of rifles during the years, there are Weatherbys Man, guys who dont see more or dont want to see more, Blaser mans, and Remington Mans.
For sure what I see is there are more Remingtons around than any make.
For sure a lot better to customize than any other make and well they shoot.
For my money I will keep more Remingtons on my safe than winchesters,weatherbys, or any make.gun)

I think (Not a expert here) that Remingtons are the most popular because of the massive ability of remington to make new rifles. They make a simple action, and is easy to true up. Plus a lot of us started with a Remignton hunting rifle. From what i have seen a Weatherby has a superior action and stock. (I really like the Raised Comb MonteCarlo) .

Now you can go buy a Rem XPS for $400 and get it trued for $180 and a new barrel put in for $500 or so. This brings the price up to around $1100. Add in a $500 stock (With bedding) and you are over $1500 now. This is still cheaper than a brand new Accumark.

I think that if Weatherby offered rifles for the $400 range you would see more and more people using them.

It is all about marketing, and the work they did years ago is paying off today.

I have yet to hear a good reason why Stiller, BAT, and the other action makers do not make a Weatherby Clone. (I think it costs too much to machine a weatherby action).

kc0pph your probably onto something there with the expence it would take to reproduce a weatherby action with all those lugs, and they do come with some higher end features but really they are a remington action and bolt body....basicly!!!!!, round reciever that excepts remington 700 mounts with a little longer screws,push feed, plunger ejector with m16 ''style" extractor( wich is nice), the three holes in side bolt body are pretty handy for escaping gases if needed and the stock (wich is a Bell @ carlson i think) is alright and then they go and throw a freakin wrench in the whole gear system by making a saftey system that you have to take off of safe to work the bolt, loaded or unloaded ,uuummmmmmmmmmmm......say it aint so, sombody with a logical reason as to why weatherby and browning yuuuuuukkkkk did this......

I believe on ruger's they have the 3 *** where *** 1 is safe and bolt locked, *** 2 is safe and bolt free and *** 3 is not safe and bolt loose. This is the way i would design it.

I see your points i was doing some reading about the safety of wby vs remington.

The 9 lugs provide a stronger action than the 2 in a remington. I like this, as i contiuned to read i read that on a magnum bolt 6 lugs can fail without serious faiure, where as a 700 neither can fail. This is due to the shorter lugs, and the less torque that would be applied.

I plan to keep my wby action and put a new barrel on it in the near future. It is a 338-378 and might move to a LA IMP due to high brass costs, unless i can find a cheap source of brass.

If i cant get the brass for under $2 im going to pass and get something else. I have about 100pcs of 338-378 brass and it is all once or twice fired brass. Thankfully i can not tell any wear in the head. Im loading baby rounds as well, if i can get a few hundred cases i would be happy using the 338/378.

I just cant justify in my current situation (As my main shooter) paying $75 per 20 pieces of brass, and then only getting 3 uses from them. I have enought to play with for a good time, after that ill look into figuring out what i will do.

PS If you know any rich people who shoot 378 based cases and do not reload to send them my way :D Just need to find that guy who uses only Factory Ammo.

Think about having them annealed, and also using the collet resizing die from Innovative Technologies to get more reloads out of your brass:

Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment

I suspect that you can get more reloads out of them this way. You might want to check with LTLR to see how many reloads he tends to get from his brass.

I have the OAL Guage from him already. I talked with him about a die and he can not make a die to fit in the press.

I have the OAL Guage from him already. I talked with him about a die and he can not make a die to fit in the press.

His web site states that his collet die fits into any (?) single stage press. Is that not true, or are you using a different style of press?

Yes His Dies fit into any press that takes normal dies (But they screw in from the bottom not the top).

His dies fit all belted magnum cases. They ALL have the same size head. (Or so he says). With them all having the same size head there only needs to be one die to size ANY belted magnum.

Now Wby decided to use a different size head than the rest. It is much larger than the standard belted magnum. Because of this he can not make a collet die that would fit in a normal press. Im sure if you payed him some extra money he might be able to make you one that would fit in a 50bmg press but that is the reasoning behind it. Many Many Emails back and forth between him and I.

We have been doing some testing with the 30-378 Accumark and 230 Berger OTM Hybrids. Using H-1000 we are getting 2950 to 3000 fps and the accuracy of this factory rifle is way above par. Today it shot two consecutive groups under 1 1/2" in a full value cross wind. These groups were at 500 yards. It is looking like this bullet is a refect match in this rifle.

If it were me buying a 30-378 Accumark, I ould be ordering some of these bullets for what ever I was hunting.

Jeff

Yes His Dies fit into any press that takes normal dies (But they screw in from the bottom not the top).

His dies fit all belted magnum cases. They ALL have the same size head. (Or so he says). With them all having the same size head there only needs to be one die to size ANY belted magnum.

Now Wby decided to use a different size head than the rest. It is much larger than the standard belted magnum. Because of this he can not make a collet die that would fit in a normal press. Im sure if you payed him some extra money he might be able to make you one that would fit in a 50bmg press but that is the reasoning behind it. Many Many Emails back and forth between him and I.

I looked at his site again. My oversight that the 338-378 is obviously the same as the 378. And, I went ahead and tried a 338-378 case in his collet die. Nope, it don't fit. :D Nice thought, though.

I suspect any similar correct-sized unit would have to be thin walled, and he'd have to have enough pre-orders to make it worthwhile. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.