Shooting Steel

Engineering101

There was a 4"X4" piece of 3/8" mild steel laying around. Don't ask me why but I was wondering how far it would fly if shot with a high power rifle so I stuck it in the crotch of a tree, got back about 10 yards and let fly with my 6mm Rem running 100 grain Sierra Game Kings. Sure enough it flew about 10 yards. I went and picked it up and was very surprised to see a hole about the size of a mushroomed bullet blown right through it. It actually looked like the hole was melted through it. That was many years ago and the reason I bring it up - I'm thinking of getting some steel to shoot at long range as in 1,000 yards and at least I know not to use mild steel. Does anyone out there have a steel target that they would recommend?

Hello,

Big Dog Steel is about as good of steel target and business you can find gun)

THEIS

Len has some good deals on steel targets on the lrh store. Ebay is another place that has some good deals.
Ar 500 is the grade of steel you are looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts