Shooting from steep hillsides

ta406

The last few elk seasons I have been finding myself sitting and glassing or shooting from steep hillsides. Most of the time these hill/mountain sides have been logged so they are typically brushy, lots of stumps, ect. I was using a long shooting stick as my rifle rest but as I have progressed into taking longer shots, I need a more stable platform. These shots are typically taken shooting down or straight across a canyon.

I was thinking about a camera tripod with something like a Hog saddle or Triclawps with a good fully adjustable camera head. Hog saddles are pretty pricey but I'm not opposed to one if its the best option. I was just wondering what you guys have found to work well in those situations.

We have found that the key to long range shooting on steep, uneven terrain is to create a solid rear rest (in addition to whatever you use as your front rest). In our shooting classes with Non-Typical Outfitters we work on lots of interesting techniques using all sorts of different shooting sticks and tripods as the front rest. Most of the different front rests work fine. The key is to figure out how to provide a rock-solid rear rest too.

The Hog Saddles are cool but for longer shots a rear rest is still often needed, and if you need a rear rest anyway then the fact that the Hog Saddle clamps your gun in isn't really significant - IMO.

When using a tripod as my front (or rear) rest I prefer a leather rest. This one is made by Ultrec but there are others out there. I feel like this setup provides a more typical and repeatable free-recoil situation than the Hog Saddle type clamp.

Often we are able to get rock-solid for long range shots on steep terrain with 2-legged shooting sticks in the front as long as we are able to create a solid rear rest.

After setting up your shooting sticks or tripod in front, lean back into the steep hillside and build up support behind your shoulder and under your right armpit. We will use a pack (or multiple packs), rock, stump, log, etc to create the support. Then use something soft as the rest the rifle stock rests on such as a rear bag, small roll-top dry sack, rolled up socks, etc.

Try a bunch of different ideas and PRACTICE a lot with them.

We have found that the key to long range shooting on steep, uneven terrain is to create a solid rear rest (in addition to whatever you use as your front rest). In our shooting classes with Non-Typical Outfitters we work on lots of interesting techniques using all sorts of different shooting sticks and tripods as the front rest. Most of the different front rests work fine. The key is to figure out how to provide a rock-solid rear rest too.

The Hog Saddles are cool but for longer shots a rear rest is still often needed, and if you need a rear rest anyway then the fact that the Hog Saddle clamps your gun in isn't really significant - IMO.

When using a tripod as my front (or rear) rest I prefer a leather rest. This one is made by Ultrec but there are others out there. I feel like this setup provides a more typical and repeatable free-recoil situation than the Hog Saddle type clamp.

Often we are able to get rock-solid for long range shots on steep terrain with 2-legged shooting sticks in the front as long as we are able to create a solid rear rest.

After setting up your shooting sticks or tripod in front, lean back into the steep hillside and build up support behind your shoulder and under your right armpit. We will use a pack (or multiple packs), rock, stump, log, etc to create the support. Then use something soft as the rest the rifle stock rests on such as a rear bag, small roll-top dry sack, rolled up socks, etc.

Try a bunch of different ideas and PRACTICE a lot with them.

Thanks for the reply Andy. That makes perfect sense. I hate to admit it but I really hadn't thought about my rear rest yet. Looks like I have some things to think about.

I should mention that I do like using Hog Saddle type rests in certain situations, and the Kopfjager looks like a great one that I hadn't seen before so thanks for that.

I found the Double Crossed shooting sticks a couple of years ago. They work good, lightweight and packable for the backcountry stuff.

Highandheavyoutdoors.com

+1 on the Kopfjager.

I've enjoyed using mine, though I haven't used it in the mtns.

I should mention that I do like using Hog Saddle type rests in certain situations, and the Kopfjager looks like a great one that I hadn't seen before so thanks for that.

Andy
The Reaper grip is well named! It actually curls around like fingers and grips your stock, locking it in.
The Hog saddle is a flat rest with 90 degree side that solely relies on pressure to hold firearm.
I've ran the Reaper moving to multiple shooting positions and never once did my rifle move or fall out.
It truly is a great tool ! I'd highly recommend you guys getting one !!

Andy
The Reaper grip is well named! It actually curls around like fingers and grips your stock, locking it in.
The Hog saddle is a flat rest with 90 degree side that solely relies on pressure to hold firearm.
I've ran the Reaper moving to multiple shooting positions and never once did my rifle move or fall out.
It truly is a great tool ! I'd highly recommend you guys getting one !!
You can't beat clamped in.

The combination of a good tripod on the front end in combination with something like the Stony Point Bipod on the rear is a very deadly combination in any terrain since they have so much adjustment.

I've shot the TriggersticksII for several years and always wished it had a clamp down front rest like the "Reaper".

I've seen some guys that were good at wood working make a clampdown base that hooks to a high quality potographic tripod but the all in one combination of the "Reaper" is pretty sweet and considering what you can pay for a good quality fully adjustable head isn't bad at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.