Shooting Chrony

And thanks for the Labradar info. I looked it up and I think you guys just cost me $400
I too was initially impressed with the LabRadar. I don't like it so much any more. The Achilles heel of the unit is aiming it to reliably detect shots. It takes multiple attempts and clever add-ons like straws, other small tubes, or scope mounts attached to the unit to get it aligned for rifle shots at 100 yds. As such, it's not reliable for short strings such as when working up loads in 3 shot groups. Mine usually misses some if not most of them ruining the testing. The software for the Bluetooth iPhone app is clunky too. As an avid rifle shooter I have all but abandoned mine in favor of the MagnetoSpeed unit. It detects every shot, every time and is reliable. I live with the issue of having something hanging off the end of the barrel since I'm first shooting to measure velocity. They even have attachments which will eliminate barrel contact if desired. But there is hope. MK Machining makes off barrel mounts for the MagnetoSpeed as well as a carbon fiber add on sighting fixture for the LabRadar https://mkmachining.com/product-category/chronographs/. I just saw this new LabRadar sighting device and will be purchasing one ASAP. Without an aftermarket sighting solution, the LabRadar is practically worthless. Buyer beware!!!

I have a Chrony and I suspect that I reads slow. I talked to them about and they had no interest in checking it out. I have a friend who had an identical unit and we put them back to back and shot through them at the same time. My Chrony was always slower then his no matter which one was in front. My biggest complaint with it is that I have had to upgrade my computer program to save and anylize data. I paid about $80.00 for the first upgrade and now I need another upgrade and they want another $80.00. Not happening!!!!! I'm buying a different unit, but I don't know which one. I'm contemplating a LabRadar or the MagnetoSpeed, leaning toward the MagnetoSpeed.

I had one of those things you fold in half to put it away. Junk. Hard to use. I think they come in several colors and are made in Canada. I went with the one depicted below and have never looked back. The clips on the uprights are where I place the crosshairs to avoid shooting the body of it. The blue line represents where the bullet will go.
Yes they are made in Canada. I have had a Chony for over ten years and has given good accurate service despite two purple hearts. I check the accuracy with factory rounds and specs so far get good agreement

My chronograph needs to be on same plane, bullet travels parallel to sensors, no slightly left on one and right on the other. No shadows falling across it.
It worked well except for my 338, it seemed as if I was reloading incorrectly as speeds varied a bit too much and I was getting error messages also. I needed to set it another four feet away as the exhaust gasses were interfering with the sensors.
How far out did you wind up? I'm at 10 feet, but my Chrony still seems addled. Maybe I'll try farther out, just to see. Yesterday, I had a string of shots at xxfps, and one in that string 175fps faster. But the target did not reflect that. So, my question is, how far from the muzzle , if you don't mind ?

I don't have aiming problems with my Labradar. I shoot a couple of foulers before testing a new load. I use those two shots to confirm the labradar is properly aimed. It is pretty rare that The unit is not lined up and collecting data on the first shot.

not saying other units aren't hard to align, just that it is not a problem for me.

Here's a photo where the Labradar tracked a 60gn .223Rem bullet out to about 65 yds (15 yds past the last displayed distance), which provides more than enough data points to accurately determine muzzle velocity. No aiming devices needed.

Last edited:
Been using the Caldwell Pro Chrony for several years. Really like the android app and ability to import data into spreadsheets. For the price it works well, Actually did some comparison testing and seems to track a magnetospeed fairly well. However it is very important like all optical based chrons that it be as level and parrallel to bullet flight as possible! Even a degree or two off can result in +50fps swings.

How far out did you wind up? I'm at 10 feet, but my Chrony still seems addled. Maybe I'll try farther out, just to see. Yesterday, I had a string of shots at xxfps, and one in that string 175fps faster. But the target did not reflect that. So, my question is, how far from the muzzle , if you don't mind ?
I went out to fourteen feet from muzzle tip. I use a length of string to ensure my barrel and chronograph are lined up properly.
I haven't had an issue since.

The chrony in a box that folds caused my grey hairs.

Many errors, wildly different successive readings. Sacrificing a black chicken over it didn't help either.

Packed it up with written instructions on where to stick it back to Canada, sent it with Fedex, and got no reply. They clearly get too many of them back to bother replying to every sender.

Got a CED M2 that served faithfully, in spite of being wounded several times.

After using my labradar I can not imagine ever messing with another chrony ever again !!
Pull up to bench and 2 minutes ready to go. labradar is just so dang easy to use and you don't have to have the ideal weather to use it.
Spend the extra money and get labradar ! You will not regret it .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.