shipping a shotgun

Bubbahfd

I live in Houston Tx. If I do a private sale person to person of my shotgun, not a dealer jist a buddy in another city here in Tx, do I have to ship it through an FFL or can I just package it appropriately and ship it to him Ups ground?

Pack it and ship it.

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

I live in oregon and last year I shipped a shotgun to a friend in alaska. I just took the barrel off and to the post office. They helped me box it and and shipped it. With insurance on the package I think it cost about 35-40$.

Please don't attempt to mail a long gun to a non-licensee out of state. The serialized part of the firearm (regardless of what other parts are or are not attached) cannot be mailed to a non-FFL beyond your state. One uninformed postal employee doesn't make it legal per US Code.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.