She's ALIVE!! Ms. Frankenstein is complete and range tested...

Dan B

She\'s ALIVE!! Ms. Frankenstein is complete and range tested...

Well...as of Sunday morning she is finished!! I completed the bedding on Thursday, pulled it out Friday (big YES!! when it came apart), mounted a Weaver one piece base, Burris Signature Zee rings and Burris Fullfield 6-18X w/ target knobs and fine plex reticle.

Ain't she puuurrrtyyy!!

100_0255.jpg

100_0261.jpg

The range test on Sunday morning consisted of seven rounds. Load is 44gr Varget, 168gr Starke RPVB bullet (3.321" w/ SP OAL gauge), CCI200 primer and LC Match brass. I fired a sighter and three rounds which ended up looking like this.....
100_0258.jpg

Then the next three...
100_0259.jpg

Can't really complain about that for a first range test, "pet" recipe from another gun and.....a $362 rifle!! Yepper!! Savage 110 w/ wood stock in .270 Winny for $200 out the door at a local store, $8 barrel from a bargain bin at a local gun shop, $145 in 'smith fees to rethread, chamber, crown and polish the entire works and $9 for the one piece base. Optics are borrowed from another gun until I decide what I really want to top her with. The stock mods (lots-o-fiberglass w/ bondo and lead filled buttstock) and bedding were all done by myself. The entire package weighs in at around 18-ish pounds.

With a little tweaking I think she'll tighten up a bit. But regardless...I'm thrilled with the budget project and $8 barrel!!!

Link to other Ms. Frankenstein posts

Re: She\'s ALIVE!! Ms. Frankenstein is complete and range tested...

DanB-that's-an-awesome-rig-for-the-price-and-it-looks-like-it's-going-to-be-a-shooter.

What-diameter-is-the-barrel-at-the-muzzle?

They got any more barrels for $8 in the the "Bargin Bin". That is just unbelievable. Lucky you.

[ QUOTE ]
They got any more barrels for $8 in the the "Bargin Bin". That is just unbelievable. Lucky you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was literally a small whickey style barrel full of barrels. There were a bunch of Enfield sporter barrels, a few Mauser tubes and then this monster SS club towering up from the thin little sticks. Of course...I grabbed it first!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It was a take off from a Remington action...but the store owners did not know that...they had not a clue what any of them were for. The finished length after it was prepped and threaded on the Savage action is 29"! Muzzle is 1" in diameter. The Enfield and Mauser barrels were never installed...they were new. Should have bought all of them...but..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Even without smithing I never seen a Savage that wouldn't produce an exceptional print.Even making other out of the box big name competitors look like money wasted.Nice rig you have good luck with it!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.