Sheep Tags

Here in Oregon my 13 yr old daughter drew a Bighorn (California)sheep tag. ODFW just keeps sending me "better luck next time" notices.

I decided to begin accumulating Colorado points for a rifle bighorn sheep tag begin next spring. I know where to hunt em and where the sheep are, I figger by the time I am 80yo I'll draw. That'll give me time to lose some weight too.

Dont be so doubful if you play the statistics and not focus on a certain area you can get a sheep in possible min 4-7 yrs. Me and my buddy got tags in 4 yrs him a sheep and me a goat. I see you havent taken me up on my offer of hiking around searching for goats for 2nd season?

A guy I met here in Pueblo West had 11 points last fall and didnt draw. His wife had 4 points and did draw. He was really mad but I guess they had a great hunt. It's a hard to figure sytem. If I drew at 4 points I woudl then be retired and have all the time in world to hunt and scout.

This is from the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society. Anyone interested in hunting bighorns in Colorado needs to join this group.

LiveCloud Login

"So you are wondering what's the deal with the weighted points system in place for sheep and goats in Colorado.

First off I think there is a little misunderstanding as to how the CDOW weighted draw works. Your name does not go in the hat more times it a lot more complex than that.

Here's how it was explained to me by some folks at the CDOW
You send in your application and it is assigned a number (10 digiits) After all the apps are in the CDOW picks 10 numbers from 0-9 in random order through a drawing. That number can be any combination of 0-9, or 9-0. Then they match your assigned number to the drawn number. Example the committe draws the random number of: 8617290453, the draw sequence is 0123456789. Then, the draw takes each application number and inverts it. Lets say your assigned number is 372016, it becomes 610273.
This allows for the numbers to be random and not have any bearing on when the application was recieved.

Then the inverted number is matched to the random draw numbers. In this case the 6 becomes a zero, because the normal 6 position is now a 0 (look at the number 8617290453, the 0 is where the 6 usually is), the 1 becomes a 6, the 0 becomes a 8, etc. the new number is then 068147. That is your assigned draw number.

Then the numbers will be put in order of smallest to largest. The smallest number has the best chance of drawing, the biggest has the worst. This totally random. Basically the lower you number the better chance you will draw. The CDOW actually gives the license to the lowest # then keeps going down the list of increasing #s until all of the alloted tags are spoken for.

Here's and example off how an unweighted draw would work using random #s arranged low to high. there are 4 applicants with 3 points they are
012345 123456 234567 345678

In a sheep unit with 2 tags applicants 012345 and 123456 get tags. They have the lowest numbers.

Here is how the weighted pref. points work with sheep and goats and moose. You go through all the steps above.

If you have one weighted pt, the CDOW divides your random draw number by 2, if you are weighted twice, (your 5th year in the draw without a tag) they divide your number by 3.... and so on down the line. This makes your random # smaller for each weighted point.

Here's and example using the same numbers from above but with weighted points factored in.
012345 0 weight 123456 0 weight 234567 1 weighted pt 345678 3 weighted pts

After dividing for weighted points the numbers are 12345 123456 117284 86420
The first and last applicants would get tags. In this case a lucky guy with just 3 pts no weight and a guy with 3 pts + 3 weight would draw.

It is important to remember it is possible to have smallest numbers drawn first with out dividing it with weighted points.
It is still pure luck, if you get a bad original (high) number ie 9876543210 you are still at a disadvantage to a a guy who just gets in on his 4th year may just get great numbers ie 0123456789.
Hope this helps with the issue. Understand, with the weighted, your name doesn't go into the "hat" more times, your probability of having a better number increases.

Is your head spinning yet?

The truth is once you have 3 points you could draw. The longer your in the better chance you have.

GOOD LUCK to all in the draws.

Sandbrew

All around sheep freak"

Thanks to Sandbrew

:D

Ok , Alot of draws have happen for 2010 .. WY just came out anybody draw anything ... Struck out in UT ,WY drew in AK...

AK

I'm going for points only in AZ, NV, UT and WY. I do have a chance yet in MT.

akrange,

Congrats on the Dall tag.

The application for 2010 sheep in AZ is now open. I will go through the ritual once again. I use the draw as my excuse to start getting in shape. Every year I tell myself that this is my year and I need to get in shape. I have 18 bonus points, so my odds are getting better. But I won't really have a shot for another ten years or so.

Good News - My daughter drew Tok management Area the first time she put in.

Bad news - I'm in Afghanistan unitl October... Killing me.

Great News - True friends who are taking her up for her first ram. Can't wait to see pictures.

2010 is in the Books for Sheep Draws I think . I just looked at my last hope for a Big Horn tag.. NOTTA in MT... Anybody draw ...
AK

Hey Guy's. new to the forum, I'm from Cody Wyoming, Been hunting ever since I was a kid in Montana. Shot lot's of deer, elk and antelope but never sheep hunted. Moved to Wyoming a few years ago and thought I'd give it a try. What do you know, first year I ever applied, Got it. I know I know lucky turd! Probably will never try for a permit ever again. Figure one good ram is enough for a guy. I think I know how to post a picture. I will give it a try. Let me know what you think. All I want to talk about is hunting, hope I am welcome on this forum.

Last edited:
http://
IMG_2176.jpg

My rifle is nothing fancy. It is a Remington 300 H&H mag. The action is a 30 S. It has a little longer barrel than most it measures 28 inches. I like the 180 grain bullets. I load them to shoot about 2800 fps at the muzzle. Alot slower than any other 300 mag out there. I just replaced my old Redfield widefeild 3-9 with a Brand new Burris 4-12 power. Never owned a Burris scope before. I absolutly love it. I chose the one with the really fine crosshairs they're called. Which only means the crosshairs are very thin, I sighted that gun to hunt sheep dead on at 300 yards. I don't think your zero should be that far out but I thought I'd be shooting 600 yards at a ram. Turned out I was able so sneek to about 200 yards from that ram. I still held right on him just a little low. I was shooting a Barnes triple shock Hollow point bullet. The Bullet performed fantastic. Shot the ram in the chest as he was looking at me and found it mushroomed in his hip socket. The bullet was almost totally intact. Retained probably 85 percent of it's weight. I think thats pretty good. What do you guy's think? I was wondering if anyone on here has ever gotten or heard of anyone getting an easy ram. We worked our butts off for this one. As do most people I think. Wouldn't change it for anything though.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts