Sheep rifle

The way I look at it is you'll need anywhere from $1500-$4000 for a new rifle, scope and rings. If it were me I would choose whichever of the 3 rifles I shot best and get it squared away. Squared away=Upgrade your stock, scope or whatever it might need.
After that I would load/buy 300+ rounds of ammo and shoot in as many different scenarios as you can to prep you.
Take from $1500-$4000 and upgrade any clothing, boots or gear that you need.
Basically I would use the money to be sure I was ready in anyway I could be. Any of those cartridges will do fine especially if you are practiced, in shape and have all the right gear.
That's all JMO, but that's what I would do.

Due to timing and budget I would recommend buying a tikka t3 7mm rem mag. Put on a leupold vx6, and spend the time to dial in a load. A 168gr Berger will do the trick. I bet practicing shooting extreme angles at distance would better serve you than a custom build. To tight of a time line if you ask me.

Thanks for all the information guys. Kind of new the answer already that one of my current rifles would work. Just kind of want a new little bit better set up for this once in a lifetime hunt for me. As I said my wife took out a second mortgage for this so I want everything done right.

What a great reason to purchase a new rifle. Having been on almost a dozen sheep and goat hunts, some of them in the Brooks Range, I highly recommend a caliber that will also handle a bear - especially for the Brooks. You may or may not encounter one, but if you do, you will not want a 6.5 bullet trying to stop it at close range. Your 300 WSM will work very well. You also want to anchor the sheep on the spot, if possible, and a large bullet will help with that. You also want all the forgiveness possible in the case of misreading the wind or elevation or distance. Don't play around getting just enough caliber for a perfect shot at a sheep. Personally I used a .338 Win Mag for many years, and switched to a 300 RUM about 5 years ago.

Thanks for all the information guys. Kind of new the answer already that one of my current rifles would work. Just kind of want a new little bit better set up for this once in a lifetime hunt for me. As I said my wife took out a second mortgage for this so I want everything done right.

I'd be taking her!

The statement about costs already ring true, as to the purpose for a single rifle to make just one hunt. I remember long ago being asked if a 7mm Remington magnum was adequate for Brown bear. When I asked the questioner when he would ever be able to actually afford a Brown bear hunt, the ensuing silence was an adequate reply. I like the 6.5 x 284 and will always have one. I find these superlight weight rifles with some amusement. The recoil can become substantial, given the caliber, and one other factor becomes obvious. I live at 6,500 and when shooting from the prone, you get the full effect of winds that are nearly constant at the higher elevations. That is where a little bit of weight keeping the rifle stable on a good bipod can become handy. The best of luck to you on your upcoming hunt!

WW

If the 06 shoots well, why not take it, or the 270. O'Connor has said, and bet a lot of guides would too, that most sheep shot within 200 yards so no need for something other than the 06/270. Develop some loads for them. I'd go with a 150gr Ttsx in the 06. Easy to get 3000 fps, and deadly bullet. Has about the same BC as the 165 in lead based. You want to hunt and kill a good sheep, not "have hunted" with the latest rifle/cartridge. Go boring and use what you already have. I'd go with the 06 myself. O'Connor used it a lot of the time, and found not problems.

I have a 6.5 x 284 Montana rifle and it is one hole at one hundred yards. It is a super rifle but has a wood stock and only a synthetic stock will do where you are going. Be sure to evaluate the effects of altitude on your ballistics. This is a great caliber.

View attachment 123959 View attachment 123958 I went on a sheep hunt in the Chugach range of Alaska with my hunting partner last year. He used my 6.5 Creedmoor built off a Tikka action with the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 scope. One shot at 350 yards was all it took. Amazing experience. Good luck on your hunt!
Would you care to PM me the details of outfitter and how much he charged you to tag along? My hunting buddy wants to go on a sheep hunt before he turns forty and wants me to go I don't have the financial means to have a tag inmy pocket but I would like to join him.

Nothing wrong with that. Just make shore you can get the rifle in time to spend time with it. Check out Montana Rifle Co. I have on in 35 Whelen will do same hole at 100yrds. Give them a call they can make changes to the stander offerings and more than likely make the rifle of your dreams. Oh and by the way you have a very special wife. Congratulations!!

20180913_072924.jpg

Friends full curl from this past fall. Alaska Range, Delta area.
Kimber Montana 7-08 Rem . Factory rifle. Don't know which load. Rifle worked perfectly. She made a good shot and it was time to get the knives out.

Would you care to PM me the details of outfitter and how much he charged you to tag along? My hunting buddy wants to go on a sheep hunt before he turns forty and wants me to go I don't have the financial means to have a tag inmy pocket but I would like to join him.
Alaskan Perimeter Expeditions it is very expensive for her to go along. 900 just for her spot on the float plane to get to camp. 6000 for her to be at camp. I want her to be there for the memories but a lot of money

Thanks I know that is pr
The way I look at it is you'll need anywhere from $1500-$4000 for a new rifle, scope and rings. If it were me I would choose whichever of the 3 rifles I shot best and get it squared away. Squared away=Upgrade your stock, scope or whatever it might need.
After that I would load/buy 300+ rounds of ammo and shoot in as many different scenarios as you can to prep you.
Take from $1500-$4000 and upgrade any clothing, boots or gear that you need.
Basically I would use the money to be sure I was ready in anyway I could be. Any of those cartridges will do fine especially if you are practiced, in shape and have all the right gear.
That's all JMO, but that's what I would do.
thanks I know you're probable right but being a guy I want a new gun!

Alaskan Perimeter Expeditions it is very expensive for her to go along. 900 just for her spot on the float plane to get to camp. 6000 for her to be at camp. I want her to be there for the memories but a lot of money
Wowsers, I had anticipated the $900 float plane, but I had ignorantly assumed $2,500 to $3,000 for a tag along to be in camp. I could go do a diy caribou hunt for $7,000.... :-/

Thanks for the quick reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.