Sheep rifle

I wouldn't count on getting a custom done delivered and load workup by this summer.
If you have the need for something fitting the hunt I would be looking at a low volume manufacturer, proof, fierce etc. Leupold vx5hd with the zl2 turret in light rings. Figure an absolute max of 8 pounds, but try for 7 pounds all up.
Personally I like the 6.5's run a 140gr bullet 2900-3000fps and have a very capable rifle. A CM might not quite get there, but a 260ai, 6.5-284, 6.5ss, prc etc all get there.

I wouldn't count on getting a custom done delivered and load workup by this summer.
If you have the need for something fitting the hunt I would be looking at a low volume manufacturer, proof, fierce etc. Leupold vx5hd with the zl2 turret in light rings. Figure an absolute max of 8 pounds, but try for 7 pounds all up.
Personally I like the 6.5's run a 140gr bullet 2900-3000fps and have a very capable rifle. A CM might not quite get there, but a 260ai, 6.5-284, 6.5ss, prc etc all get there.

Couldn't you run like a 120-130 class bullet for sheep and get up to 3k in CM?

I used to guide for a friend of mine who owned JW Outfitters near Gunnison, Colorado in the late 80's, base camp was about 9k. Boots, proper clothing, the rifle you will use and lots of time breaking in everything while training. This means you don't have time to wait for a custom build, I would peruse the classifieds here for a rifle, I'll bet what you want is already there, broken in and proven. If you want something new I would consider a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon, the new versions have a faster twist, 24-26 inch barrels and muzzle breaks, Cerakote and lightweight, for an off the shelf rifle they're good. Kenetrek, Scarpa, Asolo, Vasque and many more are excellent mountain boots which I believe are an absolute necessity, properly fitted and broken in. I use Kuiu clothing personally but Sitka, Under Armor and lots of others have joined the technical clothing world for mountain hunting. Cabela's has some offerings as well but for my money Kuiu is the best. Unless the guide is doing all of the hauling in and out, you need a backpack that is designed to work in the environment, strong, light and can carry the animal with all of your gear. If your driving into a camp the pack doesn't mean as much unless you're hiking 5 miles in to start hunting. Perhaps all of this is moot as you may be an experienced mountain hunter and were simply musing about a new rifle which is not a bad thing.

So the first question I am going to ask is that is you are really comfortable with one of your other 3 rifles and you can hit a pie plate with any of them consistently at 500 yards I would stick with one of them. Reasons have been listed on previous posts including budget and delivery time plus that will be one less variable. Over the last 25 years,I have killed a dall with a factory sako 300 win mag, a goat with Remington 700 30-06 (and my companion with a factory 7 mm mag) and a bighorn with a Winchester model 70 factory in 270 wsm. All were tack drivers with the correct ammo and I practiced like crazy before each hunt from various positions, angles, and ranges. I also had a budget. One other point - my hunts were horseback - not backpack which may paly a factor for you in the Brooks Range. Just my thoughts. As I saw on a post here - beware of the man with only one gun - (may not be as much fun as many guns but I would say he will be the most deadly).

B2B05FA6-400C-45D8-B5FE-5FA97375B847.jpeg
C6F90C29-5723-4043-B8A6-24A6BEFF1D4D.jpeg
I went on a sheep hunt in the Chugach range of Alaska with my hunting partner last year. He used my 6.5 Creedmoor built off a Tikka action with the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 scope. One shot at 350 yards was all it took. Amazing experience. Good luck on your hunt!

If your looking for super light weight the barret fieldcraft rifles get excellent reviews and look really sharp. Cant get one in 6.5-284 but they have 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5 swede, and 280 ai. Cheeper than most of the other options listed as well.

Couldn't you run like a 120-130 class bullet for sheep and get up to 3k in CM?
You can, I get about 2950 from the 129lrab/H4350 in my cm, still working on load developement with that combo. I could prob get a bit more speed with RL16/17 but give up some temp stability.
Just my preference but I would prob go SS or PRC if going for a new rifle.

If you already have a 270 that you like use it. The $$ you save will be 1/2 of the grizz trophy fee. If you can only go once you should get a bear while your there. Sheep hunting is way more about being tough and prepared rather than shooting. Get in shape. Be mentally prepared to sit in the rain for days on end. Odds are very good that you will have a chance at a ram at less than 400yds. The 270 is plenty.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.