Sheep rifle

Nuclear Worker

okay guys here we go. Got my first and only sheep tag for Brooks Range in Alaska. I have a 270,30.06 and a 300wsm. I would like to build a 6.5x284 Norma for the hunt as this will be my only sheep hunt ever. Would like to do it with a better suited caliber for the job. Am I being foolish ? If not component ideas please.

Anyone of those would do the deed, however a planned hunt is a good excuse for a new toy. My choice would be something with a short action and some type of hot rod 6.5. I would keep it near the 7lb limit without optics, which is still heavy enough for stability. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

I have built several lightweight rifles , I have used several different actions and one of the better routes to go is pick up an used Kimber Montana 84L, buy a #2 contour barrel (I use Benchmark) have the action trued and squared, and chambered in one of the very best 6.5 Calibers going the 6.5-284 !
The nice thing about a Kimber Montana is its an all Stainless CRF action, has an excellent adjustable trigger and a kevlar carbon fibre stock so alls you need to do is add an excellent barrel and you have a full custom sheep hunters dream rifle.

here's a few picture of them, this is a 6.5-284 built on an 84L action, topped with Talleys and a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 30mm CDS

Last edited:
here's my 6.5-284 built on a Kimber Montana 84M (short action)
22" #1 Benchmark barrel, hand made brake, I can only seat my bullets out to 2.900" with the short action, my gunsmith lengthened the mag box as much as he could.3"

The very first 3 shot group out of my 6.5-284 using Nosler Trophy Grade 130gr Accubonds

Last edited:
I would just use the 270 you have if you are gonna do a full custom most good Smith's won't have a gun completed by August I'm assuming that's when the sheep hunt is. Snowy mountain rifles has a new full curl rifle that is light

okay guys here we go. Got my first and only sheep tag for Brooks Range in Alaska. I have a 270,30.06 and a 300wsm. I would like to build a 6.5x284 Norma for the hunt as this will be my only sheep hunt ever. Would like to do it with a better suited caliber for the job. Am I being foolish ? If not component ideas please.
I used a Weatherby UltraLight, 300 Wby Mag with 180gr TSX.... Was nice, as it's accurate, light and will [more than] work just fine on sheep, but will certainly dispatch bear, if necessary, in that area..... Something to think about when you're in the middle of absolutely nowhere - what's powerful enough for bear....

I'm no expert and will be watching this thread as a sheep and goat gun is in my future as well... But to throw something new and different out here.. I've been drooling over the Kimber Adirondack in a 6.5 Creedmoor... Just wish it had a couple more inches of barrel length. What I really want is for them to wake up and chamber the Mountain Ascent in the Creedmoor, same weight and a 22" barrel vs. the 18" on Adirondack. I'll give em a year and see what comes. I would love to put the sleek and light weight Z3 3-9 x 36 scope on it but for 500 yards I would go with a Z5 3.5-18 or the Zeiss 3-15 that Kimber sells with matching camo. Thinking I'd also drop the bucks for the one piece aluminum Talley rings.

The Creedmoor is a legit 500 yard caliber with recoil akin to a 243. At 500 yards it delivers 1200 Foot Pounds at still over 2000 fps, that should take down a sheep cleanly and not hurt to bad to shoot in the lightest weight production bolt gun available.

But I have never hunted sheep nor high mountains... I just know that at altitude those ounces can feel like pounds so I want a light weight gun that can do the job. I'm sure there are many other great options with marginally more weight and much more power.

The Brooks range is not all that high. Tallest peak is right at 9000 ft. Depending on snow.
Steep enough to get your attention, lots of hill work getting ready. I remember lots of shale, crumbly rocks. Big big country. Wondering if you'll have a bear tag in your pocket? They are spread pretty thin but you never know. Actually not even sure bear is open when you're there. What about Wolf?

The Brooks range is not all that high. Tallest peak is right at 9000 ft. Depending on snow.
Steep enough to get your attention, lots of hill work getting ready. I remember lots of shale, crumbly rocks. Big big country. Wondering if you'll have a bear tag in your pocket? They are spread pretty thin but you never know. Actually not even sure bear is open when you're there. What about Wolf?
Thanks doubt if I will have bear tag. Yes I can shoot one but 6000$ trophy fee. I have spent so much already that I don't have.

Thanks doubt if I will have bear tag. Yes I can shoot one but 6000$ trophy fee. I have spent so much already that I don't have.
Copy that. Very cool country, you'll have a great adventure.
You have six months to get into sheep shape; rifle, legs and feet. You'll be ready for vacation when you get there.
Looking forward to reading the story.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.