Several Eberlestock questions

Snubbie

I have an Eberlestock X-1. I got it mainly for use as a daypack. I used it this fall and was able to pack out a whitetail doe in it. I would like to do some backpacking, maybe a backpack hunt.
I believe I could pack a light spikecamp in it with some gear strapped on outside. I could use the mesh birdbag to expand capacity or to pack meat.

Is there a way to attach the spike duffel to an X-1?
This would be the most economical way to expand the X-1 for use in limited backpacking rolls.

The J-34 would obviously be a better choice and is marketed as useful cinched down as a daypack. Is the J-34 truly useful as a daypack or is it gross overkill in that roll?

The 34 will work great as a daypack, just keep in mind that you are always packing a couple of pounds more due to the weight difference in the packs. But you can cinch it down to the same size as the X1.

I have both and only use my X1 when I am hunting off horseback, for all other trips I use the other. You never know what you may need to pack out ( I have found several antlers while hunting and the extra room was priceless)

I don't know how you would incorporate the spike duffel and would think if you got it attached it would be rather combersome to pack. If I could only have one pack I would choose the 34 as it is the most versitle of the two.

The 34 will work great as a daypack, just keep in mind that you are always packing a couple of pounds more due to the weight difference in the packs. But you can cinch it down to the same size as the X1.

I have both and only use my X1 when I am hunting off horseback, for all other trips I use the other. You never know what you may need to pack out ( I have found several antlers while hunting and the extra room was priceless)

I don't know how you would incorporate the spike duffel and would think if you got it attached it would be rather combersome to pack. If I could only have one pack I would choose the 34 as it is the most versitle of the two.

I was afraid someone would say this! I was trying to find a reason not to spend $300, but I had a feeling this would be the best choice. I don't mind an extra couple pounds if it truly will cinch down to a reasonable daypack size. The extra room and ability to use it in any role certainly makes it a multi-purpose pack and is an attraction to me.
I suppose I could sell the X-1 if the J-34 truly became a "just one" pack.

Thanks for the info. It's difficult to make informed decisions based on a website. Real experience is very helpful.

I made the same mistake, I bought an X1E and ended up selling it to buy a J34. I like the J34 way better.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.