Sendero Trigger Work

Mountain Man

I just got a new Sendero and would like to have the trigger pull lightened a bit. I read they were adjustable, but is this something I can do myself, or is it advised that I take it to a smith to work on? Anybody know how light it can be adjusted to?

A few web pages describe this:
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/crisp.html
http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html
http://www.snipercountry.com/RemingtonTriggers.htm

I used the first link above to set all of my Rem 700 triggers. Not to hard and low risk as long as you don't go below 2 pounds and only mess with the trigger pull weight.

A trigger pull weight scale is handy for this. I use one from RCBS. There are other ones, but the RCBS does the job and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Doug

Mountain Man, Boy do I know how to adjust a rem. trigger, (not braggin' though) You might be able to get it to 16oz. but your going to have alot of creep cause the engagement screw needs to be turned in more and then when you put the bolt down ,firing pin goes forward, not a good thing. I got all my Rem. triggers set @1.9lbs. and they're safe as long as you don't slam the bolt forward really, really fast. It's really pretty simple to do, but I don't know if I can explain it on the forum. E-mail me MM and i'll see if I can explain it you. Jay

MM,

Here's a pic of a 700 trigger I just made a solid piece, screwing the connector to the trigger piece. You can epoxy the piece on but I chose to do both for added peace of mind. This makes the Remington trigger safe as any other solid trigger now. If you don't "carefully" grind the extra 5 degree angle off and make it 90 degrees as in the pic, in a "near" zero overtravel situation the sear can drop (brake) over the connector freely but not fire and be held up by this angle on the connector. If you just epoxy it on and leave the angle there it can brake the epoxy bond as it tries to throw the connector out of the way as the sear drops. You should have enough clearance between the sear and the connector when the firing pin is in the dropped (fired) position that there's no psi between the two or they could chip etc. Sear engaugement should be enough that slamming the bolt closed SEVERAL, SEVERAL TIMES will not alow the firing pin to fall EVER, as well as pulling the trigger when it's on safety then flipping the safety off, dropping the butt on the floor, opening the bolt or anything! If you get it down to below 1.5 lbs pull you will be doing great, "most" are only RELIABLE between 2-3 lbs because they just aren't polished on the pins and bores, and built as tight as other aftermarket triggers. They can be lightened up substantially though, just be carefull you don't lighten the return spring too much. Cycling the safety and then the trigger when it's cocked can change the pull weight when it's ultimately fired verses not messing with it, so do both and make sure it's reliable both ways.
wink.gif

The sear sets on the connector and the trigger return spring needs to have enough force on it to return it against the trigger lever "and" under the sear as it is cocked, if it doesn't you can get into trouble by it not cocking at all or firing on bolt closing (FBC), firing on bolt opening (FBO), or firing when safety released (FSR).

The dangerous problem with Remington triggers is that dust or debree can get inbetween the trigger and the connector (hard to do but it can happen and does) and reduce the sear engaugement enough for it to cause one of the unsafe malfunctions mentioned above. Making it solid eliminates this area crap can get between! If you don't do this or replace it with any other solid aftermarket trigger, be sure to keep enough tension on the return spring until you can!! None of the aftermarket triggers use this connector and are solid and safe.

There's only three screws and three pieces so it's pretty simple to adjust.
smile.gif
Good luck.

fc74b6cd.jpg

fc72f98d.jpg

fc72f97c.jpg

I used the same web pages mentioned by dwm to adjust my left hand VS 223. The adjustments I made were pull weight & overtravel. Breaks at a beautiful 2.5 lbs on my RCBS scale. Using Win USA 45gr hp ammo, groups reduced from over moa to 1/2" or less at 100 yds!

[ 03-26-2003: Message edited by: Bluebeemer ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.