Semi rim issues on 220 Swift?

longarm

I have a 27 inch varmit rifle in 220 Swift which I mainly hand feed or just have one or two rounds in the magazine and I am putting together a 220 Swift hunting rifle with a 25 inch medium weight barrel on a Winchester Model 70 action with a 1 in 9 twist to seat the 75 grain Amax out at 2.84". The Winchester internal magazine holds 6 Swift cases. I know with the semi rim Swift cases they have to be stacked in the magazine one in front of the one below it, but does anyone who has one get many cartridge jams in the magazine or is your feeding good when 4, 5 or even 6 are stacked in the magazine? Thanks for any responses.

I have not had any issues with cartridges feeding through my swift. I just make sure that the rim of each casing is in front of the one below it and work my way up. If you are not careful about it they will occasionally not feed (learned the hard way on a coyote double). Just make sure that you always load the mag carefully, and you should not have any problems.

Having said all that, I can only get 4 rounds into my mag, so I'm not sure what 5 or six will do. You COAL may be to long to stack that many correctly. You'll just have to experiment a bit.

Joe

I had 2 old 220 swift cases with cracked necks so I turned down the rim from .473 to .450 to make the cases virtually rimless. They stacked nicely on top of each other in the magazine eliminating the requirement to stack one in front of the other and fed very smoothly in both the Winchester Model 70 action and the Remington 700 action. They also extracted flawlessly each time. Now I realise it will probably be different with difficult to extract cases which have been loaded to maximum and fired, but the results so far are better than what I thought. If I cut the extracter groove slightly deeper and had either the bolt face built up or use one from say a 22 PPC opened up slightly it might work really well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.