Self spotting while shooting 7.5-8.5lbs 7mm rem mag?

With the correct stock and muzzle brake you can spot shots with an 8lb all up rifle in 30 cal with a scope on 25x.

When I bought my cans I consulted my friend who is a sponsored PRS shooter. I asked him if I build a Sherman in a 7mm could I spot my hits with a 8lb rifle. He told me that position will mean alot but he shoots a 6.5 SAUM with a can and spots 90% of his hits. That settled it I will be building a 6.5 Sherman as I hunt by myself a lot.

When I bought my cans I consulted my friend who is a sponsored PRS shooter. I asked him if I build a Sherman in a 7mm could I spot my hits with a 8lb rifle. He told me that position will mean alot but he shoots a 6.5 SAUM with a can and spots 90% of his hits. That settled it I will be building a 6.5 Sherman as I hunt by myself a lot.

He is correct but I do not feel it is ethical to take long range shots at game from many if not most of the PRS positions. I really do not feel shots over 500 yards should be taken if not prone. In that case the correct stock and brake make it a piece of cake. This is not an opinion. It is fact. Also most prs guys are shooting chassis and some of them defiantly are not a great recoiling prone stock.

The OP also said "for first rifle" so I'm assuming it's going to take some practice at the range with a 7 mag to "master" his shooting form-- hopefully a 7 mag doesnt give a new shooter a "flinch" I like to start people with smaller calibers to work on their form then move up in caliber size as form and accuracy improve. 7 mag isnt a bruiser but to some people it's a little much for a starter package.

Good thought, a 223 . . . cheap and easy.

He is correct but I do not feel it is ethical to take long range shots at game from many if not most of the PRS positions. I really do not feel shots over 500 yards should be taken if not prone. In that case the correct stock and brake make it a piece of cake. This is not an opinion. It is fact. Also most prs guys are shooting chassis and some of them defiantly are not a great recoiling prone stock.

Sorry if I didn't word it correct but that was his exact opinion on position. We all agree on the prone position but with the advent of some hog saddles and other accouterments we can get some very good rests other than prone if you want to carry them afield. I dont.

Sorry if I didn't word it correct but that was his exact opinion on position. We all agree on the prone position but with the advent of some hog saddles and other accouterments we can get some very good rests other than prone if you want to carry them afield. I dont.

I just bought a Hog saddle to do some testing with magnum rifles.

Yeah im talking about spotting own misses and hits.
As far as flinch, that is why im looking into good can for noise and recoil reduction. There are hybrid cans now with the brake on the end, like mirage ulr. Check their videos on youtube, it shoots 338 lapua like its 308, and it just make a silent "phewww" :)

I know decent amount about harmonics and recoil... that i need a rifle that recoils more backwards, and not to the sides or flips up the muzzle/barrel. I was thinking of 7mm08, but im not sure if i could run 180 eldm at 2585-2625fps. I know, i know 7mm08 should be shot with lower grain bullets, but at ~9000 elevation if i could get that velocity, it means ethical 1500 energy and 1850fps+ remaining for elk @ ~850-900 yards. So basically training gun and later on hunting gun once i get better.

So my plan is just getting browning hell canyon long range 7rm 26 inch with 8 twist, and practice a lot. Once barrel is done, cut it and make 22 inch 7rm. Shoot some more and after that is done, get proof research fiber barrel, make rifle lighter for mountains. At elevations i can run 7mm rem mag at ~2700fps and have all around rifle, can drop fps to 2600, can up to 2950 for any needs, plus various grain bullets for loading or factory ammo. Best all around cartridge, hands down. I dont want to have two or more rifles. Just one all arounder.

As far as flinch, that is why im looking into good can for noise and recoil reduction. There are hybrid cans now with the brake on the end, like mirage ulr. Check their videos on youtube, it shoots 338 lapua like its 308, and it just make a silent "phewww" :)

I know decent amount about harmonics and recoil... that i need a rifle that recoils more backwards, and not to the sides or flips up the muzzle/barrel. I was thinking of 7mm08, but im not sure if i could run 180 eldm at 2585-2625fps. I know, i know 7mm08 should be shot with lower grain bullets, but at ~9000 elevation if i could get that velocity, it means ethical 1500 energy and 1850fps+ remaining for elk @ ~850-900 yards. So basically training gun and later on hunting gun once i get better.

So my plan is just getting browning hell canyon long range 7rm 26 inch with 8 twist, and practice a lot. Once barrel is done, cut it and make 22 inch 7rm. Shoot some more and after that is done, get proof research fiber barrel, make rifle lighter for mountains. At elevations i can run 7mm rem mag at ~2700fps and have all around rifle, can drop fps to 2600, can up to 2950 for any needs, plus various grain bullets for loading or factory ammo. Best all around cartridge, hands down. I dont want to have two or more rifles. Just one all arounder.

This is a 9 lb scoped setup with a Axial Precision stock. I can assure you the stock makes a giant difference in how the rifle recoils. To anyone interested in purchasing one of these stocks PM me I will get a discount to the first couple of people.
https://imgur.com/okXlUSW

I can spot shots at 100 yards with the scope on 30X. It gets even easier to spot shots at distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.