Seekins Havak 300 PRC - Anyone have one? Good/bad Reviews?

martinakl

Anyone have a Seekins Havak in 300 PRC? Good, bad, other?

I'm familiar with the basic functions, fit, & finish of the Havak rifles. I've handled a couple. Reviews for the 6.5 variants seem positive. I've just read that their are a bunch of bad reviews for the 300 Win mag version.

I can only imagine the 1:10 twist choice was to keep costs down... Counting that as a negative although it'll be fine for the Berger 215's.

I'm researching others but I keep coming back to the Havak. Could be the Idaho connection.

The havaks are all made to order and there is the seekins custom shop. I'm sure if you wanted a faster twist Glen would gladly oblige. It may cost you a few hundred more buck but would be worth it. I have been around 2 ph1 rifles. Both 6.5 prc and shoot great. The newer ph2 stock feels like a small downgrade from the ph1 in the fit/finish department in my opinion. When these first came Out, Cabelas had a version with a manners eh1 on it that was 2300$, it was a steal for that price. The action is a 50/50 cock on open cock on close. So it has lighter than average open but heavier than average close which really isn't noticed that much in the field hunting but at the bench you'll notice. Triggers are timney and easily adjustable. They're a solid gun. I have a 25% off seekins certificate I'd sell you for 50$ that'd save your 25% off your order up to 2500$. I was planning on using it to get my nephew a havak 6.5 prc, but was able to find a ridgeline for closeout @ cabelas for 1300$. If the custom shop route is under the 2500(which it should be) the certificate could save you up to $625. Let me know if you're interested in it.

The havaks are all made to order and there is the seekins custom shop. I'm sure if you wanted a faster twist Glen would gladly oblige. It may cost you a few hundred more buck but would be worth it. I have been around 2 ph1 rifles. Both 6.5 prc and shoot great. The newer ph2 stock feels like a small downgrade from the ph1 in the fit/finish department in my opinion. When these first came Out, Cabelas had a version with a manners eh1 on it that was 2300$, it was a steal for that price. The action is a 50/50 cock on open cock on close. So it has lighter than average open but heavier than average close which really isn't noticed that much in the field hunting but at the bench you'll notice. Triggers are timney and easily adjustable. They're a solid gun. I have a 25% off seekins certificate I'd sell you for 50$ that'd save your 25% off your order up to 2500$. I was planning on using it to get my nephew a havak 6.5 prc, but was able to find a ridgeline for closeout @ cabelas for 1300$. If the custom shop route is under the 2500(which it should be) the certificate could save you up to $625. Let me know if you're interested in it.

Great info. Thanks for posting. PM inbound on the certificate. I'll take it.

Anyone have a Seekins Havak in 300 PRC? Good, bad, other?

I'm familiar with the basic functions, fit, & finish of the Havak rifles. I've handled a couple. Reviews for the 6.5 variants seem positive. I've just read that their are a bunch of bad reviews for the 300 Win mag version.

I can only imagine the 1:10 twist choice was to keep costs down... Counting that as a negative although it'll be fine for the Berger 215's.

I'm researching others but I keep coming back to the Havak. Could be the Idaho connection.
I contacted Seekins last year about ordering a 300 PRC PH2 with a 1:9" or 1:8" twist barrel. They will swap barrels via their custom shop but the price jumps from $1,800 to $3,000+, and 25-34% coupons do not apply to their custom shop orders.
Seekins has a contract with Rock Creek barrels who only puts out 1:10" twist .30 cal barrels which is the .300 win mag tradition. Rock Creek IMO produce excellent barrels.
Seekins and Rock Creek are using the 1:8" twist in their 6.5mm barrels which is spot on. Plus Rock Creek produces 5R barrels with a slight 0.2" gain twist. Bartlein and Krieger also feature 5R et al barrels and add many gain twist options. I chose to build my own 300 PRC.
RR from ID 83713

Last edited:
The 25% off coupons are for online orders and not eligible for custom shop orders... trust me, I asked when they gave me a tour of their shop. I have a PH1 in 6mm Creedmoor, it has the orginial McMillan stock and feels great. It also shoots lights out. My buddy picked up a PH2 in 300PRC, it has the stock Seekins makes in house and I agree, it did not feel as quality to me. The gun shot the Precision Hunter 212 eldx pretty well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.