Seeking advice!

PRCLITE

My quest for an all around hunting/target rifle has come to an end. I have gone through three different rifles in about 9 years. I started with a Rem700 tactical chambered in .308 for my jack of all trades caliber.. I had a vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP scope on it. After a few years, I wanted something with a little more energy and a flatter trajectory so I bought a Rem700 CDL SFII chambered in .270 and transferred the scope over. Eventually I sold the scope because I just was not a fan of the FFP due to hunting the Pennsylvania woods and losing the reticle on short distances. I switched to a Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x56 with CDS. It was a great combination for hunting the PA woods but wasn't that great of a long range target/hunting rifle. I decided to build a dedicated long range rifle so I bought a Rem700 Sendero SFII chambered in 300WM and mounted a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 scope on it. It too was great for long range but obviously not for the normal hunting condition on the east coast. All three rifles were heavily funded with stocks, blueprinting etc... I recently sold the 270 and the 300 and purchased an Accurate Ordnance TMR chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor for my all around rifle. I moved to SouthEast Virginia last year and I can shoot for as far as I can see right from my backyard. The field behind my house has enough room to shoot up to 2350 yards safely and legally.

The rifle will be used to hunt fields in Virginia, mountains in Pennsylvania and eventually out west where my wife and I plan on making our final destination. Spending the amount of money I did on the AO TMR, I am not going to "cheap" out on a scope. I had a lot of interest in the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27 and also the new Razor AMD but they are both FFP scopes and I just cannot settle on that. I have got to shoot with a SFP scope - just personal preference. Since I plan on keeping this rifle for years and years I want great glass sitting on it with turrets that I can dial my minutes.

I have been looking at the Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 SFP with the MOAR reticle. I loved my NXS and the ATACR has better glass and a nicer illuminated reticle design. My problem is I want to buy one scope and not be over powered or under powered. I see that nightforce is coming out with another ATACR 4-16x50 SFP scope this fall and I am second guessing my choice.

I am looking for advice from everyone here as to which power range would be better for the following tasks:

1. Deer Hunting: 50-1000 yards
2. Varmint Hunting: 50-1000+ yards
3. Elk/Sheep Hunting: 300-700 yards
4. Target Shooting: 100-1700 yards

I know that 16x magnification is enough for 1000 yards because I've done it with 14x. My question is by getting a scope in the power range of 4-16x going to frustrate me at going beyond 1000 yards on varmints and targets? Any advice is welcome. I have the funds to purchase a scope now but want to make the right choice and not look back.

Well if your turrets will match your reticle at only one magnification setting, I'd choose something below 20x. Mirage can be brutal.

Thanks jakelly... That is something I was taking into consideration as well. My NXS on 22x was very brutal when it came to mirage. I know I definitely want SFP, exposed turrets and plenty of adjustment. Aside from waiting for the new Nightforce 4-16 this fall, are there any other scopes on the market that anyone could suggest I look at? I am in the $2000-$2500 price range. I've also considered the NF SHV but I think eventually I would regret not getting better glass...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.