Seeking advice? or just looking to argue

Mountain Sloth

What is with all the people asking for advice on any number of things. To which people make a thought out post only to be told they are wrong and basically belittled by the person asking the question? I've learned so much from the members here, and I am by no means an expert. Just seems like people would do better to take a look at what others are saying, even if you disagree, and use that info to learn and be better with the sport/hobby/past time/obsession we all love.

There use to be a word in the dictionary called "Kindness". Not sure it is listed anymore.
I'm all for a spirited argument, I'm sure most of us have them around the proverbial "campfire". But if you are looking for advice and someone gives you genuine advice, at least listen and be respectful, that's what I tell my 13 year old at least.

Yep,Rick Richard hit the nail on the head!
Kindness and Courtesy is a strength,not a weakness.
Don't lose heart Mountain Sloth,you will see names you want to hear from.Still some great folks here!
No heart lost here! And "kindness and courtesy is a strength" thats exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for the articulation or as I like to call it "wordsmithing"!

What is with all the people asking for advice on any number of things. To which people make a thought out post only to be told they are wrong and basically belittled by the person asking the question? I've learned so much from the members here, and I am by no means an expert. Just seems like people would do better to take a look at what others are saying, even if you disagree, and use that info to learn and be better with the sport/hobby/past time/obsession we all love.
It is what our world has turned into due to the system. I posted about a HMR that was shooting well in a WSM thread, and someone posted right after the thread was about WSM. My mistake so I just went up deleted what I had posted. Something has to be in the box so I put Fixed...this thread is about WSM. When I am trying to help someone and they argue or say I am wrong I just delete what I posted. I turned into a raging fool for decades over things like this. Since retiring my new desire is to just not participate and walk away.....click away I guess.

It is what our world has turned into due to the system. I posted about a HMR that was shooting well in a WSM thread, and someone posted right after the thread was about WSM. My mistake so I just went up deleted what I had posted. Something has to be in the box so I put Fixed...this thread is about WSM. When I am trying to help someone and they argue or say I am wrong I just delete what I posted. I turned into a raging fool for decades over things like this. Since retiring my new desire is to just not participate and walk away.....click away I guess.
This is a skill I still need to learn, as evidenced by this post 🙃

@Mountain Sloth its called the know it all syndrome. They don't know shizz about the topic, but will argue tooth and nail with people that actually know a lot and have a ton of experience with said topic because they simply can't be wrong and or stand the taste of it! Then if you produce actual facts and data on your and many others finding proving them wrong on all level's they resort to name calling and other forms of projection.

Like you said, I love a spirited argument as much as the next guy but ****, sometimes its like beating your head against a brick wall!

Last edited:
@Mountain Sloth its called the know it all syndrome. They don't know shizz but will argue tooth and nail with people that actually know a lot and have a ton of experience with said topic because they simply can't be wrong and or stand the taste of it! Then if you produce actual facts and data on your and many others finding proving them wrong on all level's they resort to name calling and other forms of projection.

Like you said, I love a spirited argument as much as the next guy but ****, sometimes its like beating your head against a brick wall!
Medical term is ......FECESCEREBROITUS and there is no needle jab to help it. Takes an old school jab to start making it go away. 🤣🤣🤣

@Mountain Sloth its called the know it all syndrome. They don't know shizz but will argue tooth and nail with people that actually know a lot and have a ton of experience with said topic because they simply can't be wrong and or stand the taste of it! Then if you produce actual facts and data on your and many others finding proving them wrong on all level's they resort to name calling and other forms of projection.

I couldn't agree more, eating crow is hard when the egg is on your face but learning is important.

I found this forum to be more accepting than others. Some of them are pretty bad. You're always going to have a turn in the punch bowl. I take it with a grain of salt.
Yep, you are exactly correct. It is up to all the members on this forum to keep it respectful and to call out discussions when they go into name calling and way off topic. If we all take an active ownership within this forum, then it will remain a place of knowledge sharing and as mentioned RESPECT.

Tone is really hard to relay in this format. I think sometimes people assume a rebuttal is an argument. Some people get upset when someone challenges their stance. That doesn't mean it was meant to be demeaning.

In person people can read faces and body language. Without that people can be quick to assume someone is being more aggressive than they really are.