Seeking advice from Savage SMEs/tinkerers!

FEENIX

A week ago I was shooting my Savage 111F in .300WM with some load developments of .208gr Hornady A-Max and H1000. I fired 9 rounds, 75.5 gr of H1000 being the hottest. As I let the barrel cool off (3 to 5 minutes each shot), I inspected my rifle and found out that my safety is broken.

PA100347.jpg

When I pulled the bolt to investigate for any obstruction, esp. in the barrel, I also found that the bolt retaining pin snapped in half.

PA100348.jpg

I was using a Caldwell lead sled weighted with a set of tire chains. The set up still have plenty of give that the rifle/stock does not absorb all the recoil.

Anyways, I have it fixed up now and cost me $14 for the safety and $4 for the pin. I was just wondering if anyone have any idea of possible cause(s) so I can watch for or avoid in the future.

I didn't really see anything other than the rifle is almost 20 years old and I was thinking more of metal fatigue or something like that.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Ed

Interesting, I have shot much hotter loads in
my savage 300win mag so it shouldn't be metal fatigue, maybe but those parts didn't look very beat up, at least in the pictures.

I had a brake attached to mine and only thing ive noticed is the flimsly stamped metal mag well comes loose and actually protrudes into the bolt raceway making it impossible to cycle the bolt. Very annoying.

Oliveralan,

I know what you mean ... I too ran hotter loads. Forgot to mention that it also had a Holland QD muzzle brake.

P7200025.jpg

Sled set up is just like below except of course different rifle ...

PA110130.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts