seating depth

foul bore

I have found that I, in most cases have to change my seating depth when using a new box of bullets, same part number, just different batch #. I have had this happen with Berger and Sierra both. Is this common?

Can you be more specific regarding how you are determining the change that necessitates you to change your seating depth? Is there a difference in bullet length, brass length, overall length???
If you are loading SAMMI specs or are you reloading off L&G. Get your ogive measurements and check how much length is left between the ogive and tip of your bullet. There can be variances between them but should only affect your OAL length. Need more information to answer your question defining what you actually asking.

Last edited:

It is not overall length, I did not change setting on the die, second batch in the lands, I was .015 out. noticed this when I had a round not want to chamber. I went home and checked and had to adjust. I always make sure brass is the proper length.

It is not overall length, I did not change setting on the die, second batch in the lands, I was .015 out. noticed this when I had a round not want to chamber. I went home and checked and had to adjust. I always make sure brass is the proper length.

You might not have changed setting on your die but "IF" you have your setting depth (CBTO) written down for your load, you should always check the CBTO before proceeding on your next run. Perhaps the lock nut has moved on you or you did not set the die all the way. I always do a dummy run and check my CBTO on all of them for consistency.

It's not like I'm on AR Shooter that goes through hundreds of rounds or a match Shooter I just shoot for fun paper Steel or hunting but I check every round I load Cbto and if they're not within .001 they are used for sighters or Fowler's

Within the same bullet type and weight, but different lot #s, I will usually need to adjust my seating die to achieve the same CBTO measurement. It can be as little as .001" adjustment or as much as .005" between different lot #s. I'm using the Hornady LnL Headspace Comparator tool.
I try to buy several boxes of the same lot # when I buy my bullets.

Within the same bullet type and weight, but different lot #s, I will usually need to adjust my seating die to achieve the same CBTO measurement. It can be as little as .001" adjustment or as much as .005" between different lot #s. I'm using the Hornady LnL Headspace Comparator tool.
I try to buy several boxes of the same lot # when I buy my bullets.
I think that is what I need to do, my terminology may be misleading and my methods may be primitive but I usually have good results.

You might not have changed setting on your die but "IF" you have your setting depth (CBTO) written down for your load, you should always check the CBTO before proceeding on your next run. Perhaps the lock nut has moved on you or you did not set the die all the way. I always do a dummy run and check my CBTO on all of them for consistency.
yes I do, it is possible die could have moved, I will check closer in the future

I have found that I, in most cases have to change my seating depth when using a new box of bullets, same part number, just different batch #. I have had this happen with Berger and Sierra both. Is this common?
I use a comparator for my bullets because they are all different in the same box ! I find some 005 different and I separate by size !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.