Seating depth

DEW

In order to fit my cartridge in my magazine I am at a minimum .110 off the lands. Does running your bullet at a big jump like that have any affect on the ES and SD compared to running it say .010 off the lands? Assuming you had an accurate load at both depths.

Yep....aside from target results it's hard to know what your loads are really doing without a chrony. You could have a nice, pretty half-inch group at 200 yards.......with an E.S. of 50. That just wouldn't work at long range. Get a good chrony.

Thank you for for the replies. I have a Magnetospeed chrony and understand the importance of it for building a load. I can run my load in the magazine at a minimum of .110 off the lands or i could single feed it and build a load that would be closer to the lands. Im curious if guys that have had the same delima have found it harder to maintain a good ES and SD jumping the bullets that far or if Im overthinking things?

No disrespect, but it is what it is meaning it likes what it likes. You could try various seating depths to see if the rifle will maintain the low ES and SD or go to a different load/projectile if you are wanting something different. Maybe just maybe, "your overthinking things".

an older cartridge choice , such as 375h&h will likely be set up so it results as you described , sometime your answer will be a standard spitzer or even round nose , big old ugly blunt low BC bullet

do you have the option for a longer mag box for your rifle

Last edited:
Nope its a .338 LM. Ive got the AI CIP mag in it and i believe that is the longest one available.

The longer jump will not hurt a thing. I've got a couple rifles jumping .110" with outstanding ES/SD.

If you're ES/SD isn't favorable now, you may have to tune the powder charge a little to get it where you want it.

Nope its a .338 LM. Ive got the AI CIP mag in it and i believe that is the longest one available.

i agree .100 is still an acceptable jump , if i could get closer i would.. but thats me

it it 3.850 inside ???
savage ,
https://accurate-mag.com/shop/bottom-metals/savage-long-action-bottom-metal-kit/

im assuming its a savage BA

heres some wiki info
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_110_BA

Magazine[edit]
Savage utilized the Accuracy International detachable five-round, single stack box magazine for the 110 BA. This magazine box is utilized in their Accuracy International Arctic Warfare sniper rifle but not the same magazine used in the Accuracy International AWM(Arctic Warfare Magnum) model. Utilizing an already existing box magazine facilitates the availability of extra magazines for shooters of 110 BA.[1]

An important note on the 110 BA magazine is that it adheres to the .338 Lapua Magnum cartridges loaded to the C.I.P. (Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives) maximum allowed overall length of 93.50 mm (3.681 in). It actually accepts up to a 3.760-inch overall length round, though most factory ammunition doesn't exceed 3.600 inches.[1] This is an important distinction because some rifles chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum such as the Accuracy International AWM does not adhere to CIP standard and thus does not function properly due to a lack of internal magazine length.[6] The reason for this problem is that the AWSM bolt-action is not specifically designed for the fat and long .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge. Because of this, ammunition manufacturers produce .338 Lapua Magnum cartridges that are loaded short enough (≈ 91.44 mm / 3.600 in) to fit in the AWSM magazines. As long as .338 Lapua Magnum cartridges that will fit in the magazines are used, the AWSM rifles can be used as repeating rifles instead of single shot rifles.[1]

Does anyone make a DBM that accepts a COAL of 3.795? I saw that MDT does but can figure out what assembly or chassis will take that Mag.

Seating depth affects pressure so that yes it will change your ES and SD. But I don't concentrate on those if I like the accuracy I am getting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.