Seating depth mystery

The carbon ring is the only thing that makes sense to me. I have ordered a borescope and will let you know what I find. Thanks for all your help.

Crap. Have you fired anything through the gun since you discovered this?
Could you have a sheared off piece of a bullet jacket plasma welded to the inside of the throat? Or a separated mouth of a case (I doubt cuz you look at every case). Can't you see the throat from the receiver to see enough if something is stuck there?

Are you doing a taper crimp? or roll crimp? did you re-adjust yor crimp after switching bullets? Just because the Ogive is the same doesn't mean the crimp location is the same or the same tension when switching bullets.

HEY, did you say a 7mm remington magnum? The case length is supposed to be 2.50 a Remington ultra mag is supposed to be 2.85 or trim to 2.84. Did you mix these up?

7mm Rem Ultra Mag16.gif
FullSizeRender-900x599.jpg
7mm Rem Ultra Mag16.gif FullSizeRender-900x599.jpg 7mm Rem Ultra Mag16.gif YoFullSizeRender-900x599.jpg

You probably don't need to see this now, but.....

Crap. Have you fired anything through the gun since you discovered this?
Could you have a sheared off piece of a bullet jacket plasma welded to the inside of the throat? Or a separated mouth of a case (I doubt cuz you look at every case). Can't you see the throat from the receiver to see enough if something is stuck there?

Are you doing a taper crimp? or roll crimp? did you re-adjust yor crimp after switching bullets? Just because the Ogive is the same doesn't mean the crimp location is the same or the same tension when switching bullets.
I do not crimp my bullets and I have not changed bullets, and they are the same box of bullets that I have been using. I have fired two or three of these cartridges and they are still very accurate.

All the symptoms of a carbon ring. Borescope, JB or Iosso and if it's rock hard carbon, you'll have to take some time and brush it out. No big news to anyone but a clean patch doesn't equate to a clean rifle. What helps is cleaning the gun at the range while the barrel is still hot with a good carbon remover.

Carbon ring for sure. As mentioned some JB bore paste will take care of this. You may buy a little bottle of butches or other stout carbon cleaner and use it to clean your throat area with a rod like the Dewey chamber cleaning kit. Goodluck

I have a recipe for a JB and kroil mix somewhere. I'll look for it this evening

Joe S

Another thought. I have these little plugs that Sinclair sells for checking chamber length. You may look into that. I've found more times than not my chamber is shorter or longer than "I thought"

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.