Seating depth limitations

Cole S

I recently bought a Ruger American in 300 win. I did a bunch of research before starting the load development and settled on Berger 210 VLD hunting bullets to try first. I read about the sensitivity to seating depth with those bullets but didn't realize the magazine on my gun would be a major limiting factor...I'm unable to seat them as far out as they need to be. I shot the initial rounds, working my way up through the powder charges, and got a couple charges to group just under 1" at 100 yds. Loaded up more charges around those 2 successful ones but haven't got a chance to go shoot them yet.

My question is this: if I can't get the groups to tighten up, should I switch to Noslers or another brand? Should I try the 185gr Berger Classic Hunters? A support tech from Berger told me they are designed to work better in factory rifles and be less sensitive to seating depth. Just don't know if I'm spinning my wheels trying to get Bergers to shoot in a factory rifle. Has anyone else had success with them in a non-custom gun?

For your info, the gun will be used primarily for hunting and I'd like it to shoot 1/2 MOA or better. I loaded up my rounds with H1000.

i think the limit is that it is a ruger american.
how easy does it clean ?
i got one of my low end rifle to shoot better by
using a tubb's final finish in the bore...all 50 rounds

Cole, I've seen quite a few Ruger Americans at the range including the three my grandsons have, they shoot very accurately. "Low end" or not many on this forum are impressed with them. Several threads here on the 210's in the 300 WM may help as well as members who shoot them. Good luck

I read about the sensitivity to seating depth with those bullets but didn't realize the magazine on my gun would be a major limiting factor...I'm unable to seat them as far out as they need to be.
Whatever you read was hogwash or misunderstood.
If you mean you can't seat them out far enough -to get bullet bearing clear of donut -because of the magazine,, then change bullets or go single shot.
Otherwise, you won't know where they should be seated until doing full seating testing.

Whatever you read was hogwash or misunderstood.
If you mean you can't seat them out far enough -to get bullet bearing clear of donut -because of the magazine,, then change bullets or go single shot.
Otherwise, you won't know where they should be seated until doing full seating testing.

Pretty sure OP is just talking about wanting to get them to the lands.

i think the limit is that it is a ruger american.
how easy does it clean ?
i got one of my low end rifle to shoot better by
using a tubb's final finish in the bore...all 50 rounds
You're super helpful, thank you for contributing something constructive. I was asking for advice, not for someone to tell me I have a low end rifle and make a joke out of it.

Cole, I've seen quite a few Ruger Americans at the range including the three my grandsons have, they shoot very accurately. "Low end" or not many on this forum are impressed with them. Several threads here on the 210's in the 300 WM may help as well as members who shoot them. Good luck
Thanks, Dosh. It's not a high end rifle, but it's what I could afford and I'm happy with it. I've read a bunch of the threads on the 210s but so far haven't seen any input from guys with the same gun as me.

In short, I think you can get them to group but you may have to fiddle with other things more, like try different powders etc. I'm interested to see the results of your next outing. how far are you jumping them now?

Dont let being a ways off the lands scare ya Cole. Ive had rifles/bullets that liked to be crowded in to the lands, and others that liked to be WAY off....one 300wm i had shooting 200 lrx was happiest .230 off the lands. You're under an inch right now, and im gonna assume that is at max mag length. Go ahead and refine your powder charge as you had planned, and once you select a charge, try seating the bullet deeper .010 at a time...i bet things will tighten up for ya somewhere within .050 of where you are now!

Good luck!

I'm unable to seat them as far out as they need to be. I shot the initial rounds, working my way up through the powder charges, and got a couple charges to group just under 1" at 100 yds.
Then I would call that a success!
If its under or at MOA then I would be pretty happy with it seeing as its a hunting rifle.
Imho a hunting rifle doesn't need to shoot 1/2 moa, & you can spend way to much time/effort/money trying to achieve that.
If that is the projectile you want to use then without going through more LD with diffent powders or going down the BDM path(if there even available or an American?) then just run with that.
Your not trying to varmint rabbits or ground hogs at 400mtrs with it are you?

If its under or at MOA then I would be pretty happy with it seeing as its a hunting rifle.

+1 on this!

It's not a high end rifle, but it's what I could afford

One of the most consistently accurate factory rifles I've had was a Ruger American Predator in 22-250. Shot great with minimal load work. Like an idiot, I traded it off at my local gun-shop for something else I no longer own.
If all else fails just single feed that Ruger and enjoy the heck out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.