Seating depth 215 Bergers question

Rifle is a Remington sendero rebarreled with a Christensen Arms 1-9 twist 28" barrel. On Dan's custom reamer. New guts in the bolt and the lightest trigger I've ever owned. With vv570 and .10 off the lands it is consistently in the .4 and .5's. I'm tired of trying to find 570. They can't keep any kind of supply. Best load I found with h1000 is 76.5 grains. (Went in .3 grains between) It didn't like magnum primers (tried CCI 250 and fed 215) All groups were around .5 with 3 shots and what you see with 4. I shot 2 at a time and let cool down completely between shots.

I run 77.9 H1000 with F215M primers. The accuracy node is between 77.6 and 78.1 for me, but I load them long ~3.6 coal. The 215 likes .oo5 off in my sendero, but can get away with .010 off. This shoots .5 moa all day and often .2-.3 moa if my loads and technique are on.

Rifle is a Remington sendero rebarreled with a Christensen Arms 1-9 twist 28" barrel. On Dan's custom reamer. New guts in the bolt and the lightest trigger I've ever owned. With vv570 and .10 off the lands it is consistently in the .4 and .5's. I'm tired of trying to find 570. They can't keep any kind of supply. Best load I found with h1000 is 76.5 grains. (Went in .3 grains between) It didn't like magnum primers (tried CCI 250 and fed 215) All groups were around .5 with 3 shots and what you see with 4. I shot 2 at a time and let cool down completely between shots.

Try .020" off and let us know what happens. I've seen standard primers work better in the WM and they won't hurt a thing. What brass are you using? Are they new cases?

Using ADG. All fire formed. My son is on the #2 ranked basketball team. Probably won't get back to this until after state playoffs. My plan is .012, .016, .020, .024, and .028, and see what happens. I can live with any of these groups. They are all under 1". But I do love to tinker. Although I am very surprised these groups were so close to each other. I expected more variance. Thus far I would say 215 bergers are not very sensitive to seating depth.

Using ADG. All fire formed. My son is on the #2 ranked basketball team. Probably won't get back to this until after state playoffs. My plan is .012, .016, .020, .024, and .028, and see what happens. I can live with any of these groups. They are all under 1". But I do love to tinker. Although I am very surprised these groups were so close to each other. I expected more variance. Thus far I would say 215 bergers are not very sensitive to seating depth.

Your plan looks good. I think you'll find something there. Although, instead of .012" I'd be more inclined to try a depth on the closer side of .010" just to see how it responds.

assuming you did not adjust your scope resulting in the point of impact change, the last 2 groups did not move location on target. if the longer oal loads are shifting quickly, id stay away from them unless the accuracy was significantly better. tinkering is good. learn a lot that way. my 215 berger experience is similar and I chose .083 off.

Didn't adjust scope. Didn't think of looking for how close the groups were in relation. Probably should have.

Last edited:
Throw Bergers seating depth testing in the trash. It does not work in a properly throated rifle period. Maybe it works when you have magazine limitations? I also have never seen this so called seating depth insensitivity they claim. You need to load at the lands, -.010, -.020, -.030, -.040. I have also not had much luck doing seating depth testing first although others praise it. I have had 215 bergers shoot at the lands .010 off, .020 off and .030 off. I have never had a Berger need more than .040 off the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.