Seating depth 215 Bergers question

tmmcampbell

where do I go from here? All 4 shot groups.
upload_2019-2-4_0-54-19.jpeg

upload_2019-2-4_0-54-47.jpeg

they're similar enough that you may want to pick the longest one that fit in your magazine and try another test playing with 0.005" seating depth variations from there. If they all fit, I'd probably work around the 0.090 and do another test in 0.005 increments looking for something a bit better, that group shape looks slightly more promising that the others, imo.

Also, consider switching to the remington 9 1/2 primer, with that exact powder charge of H1000 it cut my ES from 28 to 4 fps.

True that. Both of my rifles shot best 30-35 off with 215 and H1000

I've seen the triangle type groups like the one at .010". My fix was adjusting it .010" further off to pull the triangle in a clover leaf. If it were me, I'd try .020" off for sure.

I'm assuming that is at 100 yards.
I would load all these again a repeat for verification at 200 or 300 yards .

If they are shooting like **** at 100, why would you try them at 200 or 300? I get some people get target panic at closer range, but the groups aren't going to get smaller. More info would help. Is this a factory rifle?

Bergers can be SO frustrating to develop a load with!
I know Litz says .040" steps, like you did, but I've found .020" increments to work better for me.
I've absolutely never ever had a load with over .100" jump work well. I've been tricked a couple times because it really wants to be awesome... but inevitably flyers plague me. I'm just not willing (or maybe capable?) to do the intensive brass prep work required to get ultra consistent bullet/neck tension, and thereby eliminate the flyers.
So, I'd check in between your last points, from .005 out to .100.
Like .005, .025, .045, .065 etc.

If they are shooting like ---- at 100, why would you try them at 200 or 300? I get some people get target panic at closer range, but the groups aren't going to get smaller. More info would help. Is this a factory rifle?

I totally agree with this.
The only thing that MIGHT work better farther away is between your ears.

If they are shooting like ---- at 100, why would you try them at 200 or 300? I get some people get target panic at closer range, but the groups aren't going to get smaller. More info would help. Is this a factory rifle?
I said, shoot them again ( at 100 if that is how far it was) maybe you had a stupid day.
Try to shoot the same at 200, who knows maybe you are scared at 100.

Rifle is a Remington sendero rebarreled with a Christensen Arms 1-9 twist 28" barrel. On Dan's custom reamer. New guts in the bolt and the lightest trigger I've ever owned. With vv570 and .10 off the lands it is consistently in the .4 and .5's. I'm tired of trying to find 570. They can't keep any kind of supply. Best load I found with h1000 is 76.5 grains. (Went in .3 grains between) It didn't like magnum primers (tried CCI 250 and fed 215) All groups were around .5 with 3 shots and what you see with 4. I shot 2 at a time and let cool down completely between shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.