Seater die interchangeability

Prieto9000

Can I use a .338 RUM seater die to seat the bullets for my .338 EDGE?? Or can I use a .300 RUM seater die with a .338 stem for the same task??

Can I use a .338 RUM seater die to seat the bullets for my .338 EDGE?? Or can I use a .300 RUM seater die with a .338 stem for the same task??

For the best concentricity of your loaded ammo, the answer is no.
You can use the 338 RUM die to seat your bullets because the neck portion is identical, but the rest of the case will not be supported by the die and cause eccentric seating.
I would not try and put a 338 seater plug into a 308 die because it could damage the neck area of that die.
Just buy the correct die set and be done with it.
I just seated a bullet into a dummy 505 Gibbs with an incorrect die because I'm still waiting for the die set, the runout is .018" and there is a noticeable bend in the neck, obviously I will be pulling this and FL sizing this case in the PROPER die before I load it for good.

Cheers.
gun)

I disagree with MagnumManiac.

You can do both, with some caveats.

Will you achieve consistent and concentric loading? Well, only way to know is to try.

I´m asking this question because I´d like to use the VLD micrometer stem for the redding dies and I don´t want to spend $200 on a new set of dies. Right now I´m using my RCBS .338 EDGE die set for FL and bullet seating and a Hornady .338 magnum neck sizer for that task. I don´t see redding offering a .338 EDGE seater die alone so I´m trying to complete my set with something else that serves the purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.