Screw on vs. Ported muzzle brake

I had 300wm rifle with a screw on muzzle brake. I was at range target shooting . The groups were not good. Found the muzzle brake had loosen. Blue loc-tite and a good tighten fixed the problem.

I have a 338 Win Mag in a Ruger Mark 11. I had a mussel brake add to the barrel. Didn't change anything except the recoil. I had it done at Accurate Arms in Missoula, MT. I having a rifle in 338 Win Mag coming from him, but I have a 26" barrel instead of a 24" like on my Ruger. With the Ruger I am getting 3220 fps with a 200 gr. Nosler Accubond, and petty much a tack driver. I am not a long range shooter. I stay within 500 yds. My son got a 338 Win Mag in a Browning that the barrel is ported. We run up the powder load, and that checks out. Going see what the chronograph tell us and work COAL too.
SSS
Mike

Sometimes to get enough meat on a sporter barrel you have to cut back to the area that allows enough meat to thread the barrel.As to your original question both meathods have benefits. The thread method allows you to use different self timing brakes, this allows you to debate wich one is the best on internet forums :) .the back bore and port style is what you see is what you get....The recoil reduction and effects on accuracy can only be determined by shooting the rifle. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.