300WBY: Replace Muzzle Ports with Brake?

MtnMann

My father has a Mark V with a 26" barrel chambered in 300 Weatherby Magnum that had barreling porting done to it a long time ago.

I was wondering since we are probably already losing some velocity with the barrel being ported would it be better to cut the barrel back 1.5"-1.75" (just enough to clear the porting) and install a new modern muzzle brake?

I know that a newer modern brake would be more effective with recoil but was wondering if there would be any noticeable loss of velocity with the barrel being slightly shorter and braked compared to it's current configuration with the barrel porting.

Attachments

• 300 WBY Porting.jpg
    300 WBY Porting.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
My father has a Mark V with a 26" barrel chambered in 300 Weatherby Magnum that had barreling porting done to it a long time ago.

I was wondering since we are probably already losing some velocity with the barrel being ported would it be better to cut the barrel back 1.5"-1.75" (just enough to clear the porting) and install a new modern muzzle brake?

I know that a newer modern brake would be more effective with recoil but was wondering if there would be any noticeable loss of velocity with the barrel being slightly shorter and braked compared to it's current configuration with the barrel porting.
The estimated velocity loss is ~25 FPS +5/-5 per inch, YMMV.

You might consider sharing a picture, so others know what you meant.

Last edited:
hi , I'm the farthest thing from a machinist or gunsmith, but why cut the barrel back behind the ports, can't someone thread over the ports?
I'll wait for the pros to chime in .

Please explain your reasoning......for cutting barrel off.....
is gun not shooting....?? too much recoil....???
if barrel was done by "Magna Port" they and others have charts for recoil reduction....
yes muzzle brakes vary in efficiency...
only a few will not be obtrusive and cumbersome to hunt with.....
I wonder how many shooters have looked up at their brake and saw a stick stuck in it....

I was thinking if it worked ,you could take the break off anytime you wanted and clean out the ports ? But , what do I know ?😂

How many shots have been fired through this barrel?

This will determine if it is meaningful to cut the barrel and thread or if the rifle would benefit more from being replaced. Bore scoping by someone with the experience to know what they are seeing will be helpful to understand the condition of the barrel in relationship to the number of shot having been fired.

Yes, modern muzzle brakes can be more effective for reducing recoil.

Will the reduced velocity be noticeable? Maybe if you have accurate chronograph data from the original barrel porting compared to the new version. In real life, you'll loose little velocity and the loss of cartridge performance will be negligible.

If you want to have a new brake installed be sure to use a gunsmith who will pay close attention to making the very best threads square to the bore line, crown and muzzle. A new crown can be a wonderful thing by itself.

Enjoy!

Barrel was ported by a local gunsmith prior. I have attached a photo of the porting in the original post if that helps. The porting ends approximately 1.5" from the muzzle.
Please explain your reasoning......for cutting barrel off.....
is gun not shooting....?? too much recoil....???
if barrel was done by "Magna Port" they and others have charts for recoil reduction....
yes muzzle brakes vary in efficiency...
only a few will not be obtrusive and cumbersome to hunt with.....
I wonder how many shooters have looked up at their brake and saw a stick stuck in it....
My understanding is that having a ported barrel decreases velocity when compared to a non-ported barrel at the same length. Exactly how much of a decrease in velocity, I would assume depends on the style of porting. That being said, from my research a muzzle break should not decrease velocity compared to a non braked barrel at the same length.

Thus, my question is would shortening the barrel by less than 2 inches and putting on a more effective brake thereby providing better recoil reduction while having a minimal impact on velocity?

Ironically, while typing this comment I found a forum that provides some good information to this conversation. Specifically look at post #5 by JE Custom's if anyone is interested.

Barrel was ported by a local gunsmith prior. I have attached a photo of the porting in the original post if that helps. The porting ends approximately 1.5" from the muzzle.

My understanding is that having a ported barrel decreases velocity when compared to a non-ported barrel at the same length. Exactly how much of a decrease in velocity, I would assume depends on the style of porting. That being said, from my research a muzzle break should not decrease velocity compared to a non braked barrel at the same length.

Thus, my question is would shortening the barrel by less than 2 inches and putting on a more effective brake thereby providing better recoil reduction while having a minimal impact on velocity?

Ironically, while typing this comment I found a forum that provides some good information to this conversation. Specifically look at post #5 by JE Custom's if anyone is interested.
LOL! I was part of that old thread.

How many shots have been fired through this barrel?

This will determine if it is meaningful to cut the barrel and thread or if the rifle would benefit more from being replaced. Bore scoping by someone with the experience to know what they are seeing will be helpful to understand the condition of the barrel in relationship to the number of shot having been fired.

Yes, modern muzzle brakes can be more effective for reducing recoil.

Will the reduced velocity be noticeable? Maybe if you have accurate chronograph data from the original barrel porting compared to the new version. In real life, you'll loose little velocity and the loss of cartridge performance will be negligible.

If you want to have a new brake installed be sure to use a gunsmith who will pay close attention to making the very best threads square to the bore line, crown and muzzle. A new crown can be a wonderful thing by itself.

Enjoy!
I'm not sure exactly how many rounds the barrel has had through it. It has been solely used has a hunting rifle and usually only gets shot to confirm zero before hunting season. Thus, I would assume somewhere in the ball park of 200-500 rounds but that's just a guess.

I kind of figured that I would just have to look at the data, if I decide to get it cut and a muzzle brake installed, to see if there was any noticeable difference, but I wanted to see if anybody had any experience in doing this before I presented my recommendation to my father.

LOL! I was part of that old thread.
I noticed that lol.

It seem you have it ported already,lose in velocity.Now consider cutting back and adding brake.Brake is added back in,better recoil reduction,but barrel should be real close to same length.I ported my 340 after ten years of hunting.My son now has.Last time I shot it while on a hunt with him and a steep downhill,took scope hit,guess I forgot that thing still packed a punch