Scorehi Pillars

ofdscooby

I recently bought two sets of score hi pillars for my rifles The first set will be put on a laminate stock kinda my practice test before I do it on my McMillan. My question is how can the do it yourselfer get the holes drilled nice and straight without purchasing the jig or the pilot bit. I don't mind buying the bit but do I need to. I have acess to other drills and presses but for some reason I'm really concerned about getting the hole perfect. Someone talke down off the ledge am I over thinking it? I've bedded rifles before but this is the first pillar job

I used his piloting bit with a drill press, and it worked very, very well. I would not try and do it with a "regular" drill bit, but that's just me. I taped the edges of the stock to prevent scratching, flipped it upside down, aligned the pilot with the original drill hole in the stock, clamped it in place and drilled the hole. Go slow at the end to avoid chipping the wood.

You can buy the same piloted bit plus inserts cheaper here:
AIRCRAFT COUNTERBORE from Aircraft Tool Supply
I'll be buying one here as I somehow misplaced the one I bought from ScoreHi.

Drill press off: I chuck a snug fitting drill bit ( existing screw hole) and line up the stock and clamp it in place. Then install the bit for the pillars.
My fixture is a 30 x 4 inch piece of plywood with one bolt thru the mag opening. I

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.