Scope rings torque

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by JMack, Jun 27, 2018.

1. JMack

JMack Well-Known Member

mounted scope (Swarovski 3.5-18z5) on new to me rifle torque the rear rings to 15in/lbs (Talley lightweight) and when I torque the front rings to anything over 12 the parallax focus knob grinds when turning it. @12 in/lb it’s fine but if I go up any it “grinds”

Is something out of alignment with rifles pre drilled base holes? Should I lap rings? I never had this problem.

Thanks

2. jasent

jasent Well-Known Member

I would try a light lapping and see if it improves

3. JMack

JMack Well-Known Member

Will do

Thanks

jasent likes this.
  4. kiwikid

kiwikid Well-Known Member

Just recently there was another thread on here with exactly the same problem and he was using Talley rings as well. You may be able to search for it.
    Swaro z3 + Talley lwt issues
    I have mounted 13 various (Z3, Z5 and Z6) Swarovski scopes and all of them are mounted in Burris Signature Zee rings in 1" and 30mm and have never had a problem.

5. JMack

JMack Well-Known Member

Wow a lot of good information there. Now I’m second guessing the use of Talley’s, however this is my lightweight build and I’d like everything as light as possible. Any suggestions for a lightweight mount that will work with the swaro? I did put a few ring marks in the scope in this process but I don’t think I’ve done any internal damage to the scope, everything seems to work fine.

Thanks

6. kiwikid

Hi JMack, Sorry to hear that the Talley rings have marked your Z5. Somewhere I thought I had read that Burris are making a light weight Signature Zee ring. I have just weighed a new set of their 1" steel Signature Zee rings and they weigh in at 3,8 ounces.

7. JMack

JMack Well-Known Member

I’ll check out the signature rings, at that weight its not bad at all. I can live with the small marks as long as the scope works. I’m sure I’ll put a few dings or scratches in the scope eventually.

8. kiwikid

I hope it all works out for you.:)

9. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Not a fan of lapping. Something else is wrong, either action not tapped square or the rings are not true. When you lap the potential for not getting enough grip on the scope to keep it from moving goes way up.

Steve

Hand Skills, wilkup and kiwikid like this.
  10. JMack

JMack Well-Known Member

I’d rather avoid lapping. My gut is telling me something is up with the receiver. I had the exact setup (same scope different rings (Talley for tikka) mounted to my super light and it was flawless and sighted in very easy and was very consistent.

Would it be worth looking into a one piece mount like a DNZ game reaper?

11. kiwikid

Have you tried putting a straight edge on your bases to confirm that they are on the same plane,? One of my rifles, a Carl Gustaf 22.250, has the base screw holes drilled slightly out of alignment but the polymer inserts in the SZ rings allowed the scope to align perfectly.

RockyMtnMT likes this.
  12. JMack

JMack Well-Known Member

I have not tried that yet

13. JMack

JMack Well-Known Member

Installed DNZ game reaper. Problem solved.

Very nice mount.

jasent likes this.