Scope ring/base torque spec - Holy Cow!

YZ-80

I just got the Burris 1" style scope rings for my CZ-527 (22 🐝). They are dovetail base style. I cringed when I saw the torque specs on these things. It calls for 60 in/lbs for the bases and 30-35 in/lbs for the ring screws! Why so high? I'm gonna need a cheater bar for my FAT wrench!

Are these the Signature Zee Rings? I recently mounted large heavy scope using these rings. They seem flimsy, especially the skinny screw that clamps the ring to the base.

Nope. Just a set of little 1" short action rings - for a .22 Hornet no less.
7944DB3F-A6AF-421D-8181-AB770A84AE24.jpeg

That sounds a bit high for the ring, but the base sounds low. I usually use 65 in/lb for the nut at the bottom, but 20-25 for screws on top.

what size screws are they? screw torque specs are based off of screw size/ thread pitch, and metal specs.

I see the rings are solid steel, not aluminum-- that's one reason for the higher torque settings , they also clamp directly to the grooved receiver

I just got the Burris 1" style scope rings for my CZ-527 (22 🐝). They are dovetail base style. I cringed when I saw the torque specs on these things. It calls for 60 in/lbs for the bases and 30-35 in/lbs for the ring screws! Why so high? I'm gonna need a cheater bar for my FAT wrench!
I recently bought a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. I put the one piece Talley ring/base on, and Talley recommended the rings be torqued to 17-20 in/lbs. They recommend you consult the firearm manufacturer for base to receiver torques specs. I did, and Christiansen Arms recommended 18-20 in/lbs as well. They are both 6-48 screws, and I think that is the standard for that size. I use a small amount of blue Locktite as well, and have never had a issue, ever. Hope this helps!

I use a lot of different ring and base set ups but most of the time it seem like I'm torquing 28-30 in/lbs at the bases and like, 22 with the rings. That's on the average. I've never seen such high specs. I'll take them under advisement and proceed with caution.

I've got 6-527, none with the Burris rings but none of the rings are torque to 30-35 to the scope and not one problem.
I'm sure you will be fine down around 20 in/lbs especially on a hornet.

I got it mounted OK. Worst part about it was the plumbing of the reticle (as usual). I went with 30 in/lbs on the bases and 25 on the rings with a little friction tape. Solid as a rock. Also pulled her out of the stock and got rid of some back travel. Bore sighted and ready to go!
D5B6A073-CE3F-4A49-93AE-7A5FF9B5BD34.jpeg

Nice little rifle! I have been on the prowl for a 6.5 Grendel. I love the CZ's.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. It's my 3rd CZ and my first Hornet. Build quality is high for the price point. Might put an aftermarket trigger spring on it, as it seems to max out on the low end at 3.25 lbs. It has the set trigger however. I got that set at 15 oz. Might take it to the range tomorrow. I got a 35 grain V-max to test and a 45 grain PSP. Haven't decided if I'm gonna tool up to reload for it yet or not. We'll see how it shoots the factory stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.