Whats the Torque spec on 6-48 base screws???

Strip Poker 388

I just received a NightForce scope base/rail 1913picatinny for my New Rem 700.I'm trying to sight it in tomorrow.It didn't come with destructions:rolleyes: and Nightforce is closed ,the place were I bought it didn't know and guessed it to be 25-30inchpds,Everybody else is at the shotshow.I searched and googled it and cant find anything concrete.I looking for more than a guess ,Yea most people tell me just to hand tighten it w/ blue loc.Ive got the TQ wrench ,Why not do it right the first time.

I Figured someone here in this section prob knows the spec and why there is a spec.

The NF rings I have came with paper work/specs,25inch. They are larger (?8-40) screws than the 6-48 base screws,So I guessing that 25-30 would stretch the shet out of them or twist them off. I saw one post that said 15inch for the rail/base screws,that the sort 2 go in the front ,as to not protrude into the bolt lug area.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Rob:D

Last edited:
25-30 inch pounds is right. I do mine at 30 inch pounds and use anti seize compound. Never had one loosen, never had one strip or break when I wanted to remove them.

Greyfox thanks for the reply,I hate to be wrong.I know the ring cap screws are a larger size that they say 25,Ijust cant see the same TQ on a smaller screw,

This chart is closer to the 25-30in
6 - 32 .00909 818 654 - 982 15 - 20
on a 6-32 says 15-20inchpds
http://www.pencomsf.com/pdf/tech_info.pdf

these are low

Bolt and Screw Torque Specs - The Thelen Channel

Federal Screw Products Inc. - Torque Chart

Screw Torque

found this
Torque specs? - THR
6-48 Base Screws @ 22 inch/lbs
8-40 Base Screws @ 28 inch/lbs
8-40 Ring Screws @ 28 inch/lbs
Ring windage screws @ 45 inch/lbs

I know on my race car bolts like ARP they have different TQ #'s w/ 30w oil over Molly.Also on different grades

The Wheeler torque wrench kit lists:
Base Screws. 30 in lbs
Windage Screws 30-40 in lbs
Ring Screw aluminum rings 10-15 in lbs
Ring Screw steel rings 15-20 in lbs

Stocks

Wood, fiberglass, synthetic w/o bedding pillars 40 in lbs
". ". " With bedding pillars 65in lbs

I just received a NightForce scope base/rail 1913picatinny for my New Rem 700.I'm trying to sight it in tomorrow.It didn't come with destructions:rolleyes: and Nightforce is closed ,the place were I bought it didn't know and guessed it to be 25-30inchpds,Everybody else is at the shotshow.I searched and googled it and cant find anything concrete.I looking for more than a guess ,Yea most people tell me just to hand tighten it w/ blue loc.Ive got the TQ wrench ,Why not do it right the first time.

I Figured someone here in this section prob knows the spec and why there is a spec.

The NF rings I have came with paper work/specs,25inch. They are larger (?8-40) screws than the 6-48 base screws,So I guessing that 25-30 would stretch the shet out of them or twist them off. I saw one post that said 15inch for the rail/base screws,that the sort 2 go in the front ,as to not protrude into the bolt lug area.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Do a search using= Torque Recommendations and you should find all the torque values you want.

J E CUSTOM

Hey guys thanks for the replies,It looks like 28 is the most common torque value on the base screws.

I found on Seekins site he recomends 15 inch lbs
FAQ -

15 here also
Is a wheeler fat tool really needed for mounting scope? - TheFiringLine Forums

Ken Farrell recomemnds for his base
Free Rifle and Pistol Targets
Suggested tightening torque for front screw: 20-25 in/lbs.
Suggested tightening torque for all other screws: 20-30 in/lbs.

this post copied from the NRA
says diff ones
Wheeler torque screwdriver - AR15 Armory.com

Undertightened gun screws can loosen and let things that are not supposed to move, move. Overtightened screws or multiple screws that are unevenly tightened can lead to even bigger problems. Twisting the ring screws too tight or unevenly when mounting a scope can damage the scope. It can result in stressed, bent or dented scope tubes and misaligned internal parts. The scope adjustments may not work correctly, making it impossible to sight-in the gun or, in some cases, to retain zero. Or it can cause the scope to break at a later date, as recently happened to me at the shooting range. One of the internal lenses shattered, possibly from a misaligned scope ring.
Rifle action screws that are undertorqued can work loose, causing accuracy problems and possibly damage to the gun. If they are overtorqued, it can damage the stock, bolts and even the receiver. Unevenly or improperly torqued action screws can result in poor accuracy. It's a fine line between getting any important screw tight enough and turning it so tight that things break or distort.
There is a school of thought that says you absolutely do not need a torque wrench to mount scopes on guns or to mate the action to the stock. Thousands of both are accomplished every year by people who have never heard of a torque wrench. But for the very best job and for an eye-opening look at how much torque is correct, a torque wrench is the only answer.For example, Leupold recommends that 6-48 screws in a ring or base be tightened to 18 in.-lbs. and 8-40 screws be tightened to 28 in.-lbs. Windage screws on the rear ring of the scope mount should be tightened to 40-45 in.-lbs. Wheeler Engineering recommends that base screws be tightened to 30 in.-lbs. Ring screws in aluminum rings should be torqued to 10-15 in.-lbs. and steel rings to 15-20 in.-lbs. The windage screws on the rear rings of Leupold and other such mounts should be torqued to 30-40 in.-lbs.....
But, without a torque wrench, how can you know? One screwdriver manufacturer advises that with its unit's relatively small handle and full hand pressure, most men will achieve 17 to 50 in.-lbs., which is a pretty wide margin of error. With the thumb and first two fingers, they say most will apply 10 to 17 in.-lbs. That is subjective at best. I can apply a lot more torque with this method than my son can, and we are both grown men. I just outweigh him by about 60 lbs. The bottom line is that the only way to know is to use a torque wrench, and what I learned when I got mine is that I have been screwing up for years—pun intended.
Action screws are another torque-sensitive application that can affect accuracy and prevent damage to the rifle. Wheeler Engineering recommends that wood, fiberglass or synthetic stocks be torqued to 40 in.-lbs. If the stock has pillars, go to 65 in.-lbs. I also took a survey of several rifle manufacturers to see what they recommend. Browning recommends 30 in.-lbs. on its A-Bolt rifle action screws. Remington recommends 15-25 in.-lbs. on its wood, synthetic or laminate stocks. On the synthetic stocks with integral aluminum bedding blocks, it recommends 45 in.-lbs. of torque on the action screws. Ruger provided more detail, including the proper tightening sequence. "First, tighten the front bolt to 90 inch-pounds. Second, tighten the back screw to 50 inch-pounds. Third, tighten the middle screw to 50 inch-pounds."

J E Custom thanks for the tip,Rewording my search made a diff.I appreciate youalls input,I just started shooting about 1 year ago.Trying to learn all this and do it right.

This from Brownell's,
makes since if theres diff grades of the screws/fasteners.I would assume that most are equivalent to the grade 8,machine screw?
GunTech : Torque Specifications for Gunsmiths - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

We recently obtained some ring and base screw specs from Leupold: base screws 14 in/lbs, ring screws, 15-17 in/lbs, and 45 in/lbs on the windage screw, 65 in/lbs on the cross bolt for the Mk IV ring. Previously, they told us that base screws with 6 or more threads of engagement would require 22 in/lbs, 6 or less 12 in/lbs.

For the gunsmith a torque specification is more of a guideline than a rule.

Let's consider the 15-17 in/lb specification offered by Leupold for their ring. Currently they're using 8 x 40 torx head screws, applying 15-17 in/lbs would not cause the fastener to stretch and impart preload to the joint; but it will likely hold the scope tight enough to keep it from slipping and not damage the tube. However, if the front and/or rear ring was made out of spec, or if the height of the scope bases do not concur, or you are using an off brand scope, you may need to impart more torque to the ring screws to get them to hold the scope properly.

There are plenty of standardization organizations out there (ANSI, ISO, ASTM, and SAE) to help. We don't currently have membership and are unable to offer any of their information, but it is generally the fastener manufacturer who will be able to tell you what certification their product has. For large automotive fasteners this is rarely a problem, the small screws gunsmiths see are rarely designated like this. Generally, the screws contained within our screw kits are made of 1038 steel and match SAE grade 8 specifications; and I recommend the traditional German Torque Specification: Gooduntight!

here's Wheelers recommendation
that might be bacause the ajustments are only in 10inch steps?
30 inch-lbs

Wheeler® Engineering FAT Wrench™ (FAQ/Tips)

just info/Seekins
http://www.teamblaster.net/reviews/SeekinsPrecisionRingsBases.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.