Scope lapping with modern quality parts?

The points of the alignment bars can meet perfectly, but that does not mean that the bores of the scope rings are coaxial. It only means that the center-line of each intersects the other. Slide the bars fore or aft enough and the points will not meet. Perfect case of a position dependent false positive.

This is what I was getting at, my drawing skills suck but I think you can get the jist of it
Ah, now I get you.
Ok, I am takling about what your also saying in post #4, I also use a straight bar to check alignment as well.

I've never bedded scope rings/bases, not to say I wouldnt as I have bedded a few rifle actions.

In saying that I think for me it would depend on the degree of how far out they are, I have also lapped pretty true rings just to get rid of those ridgelines that some rings have so I have better contact.

I also use the drill attachment in the wheeler lapping rod to minimise the forward & backward motion.

Still the OP is saying its an intergral rail so that take that out of the equation.

Last edited:
Normal flat lapping protocol is to move in a figure 8 and definitely not circular. I tend to duplicate that figure 8 motion when lapping scope rings. Can't see a reason why this wouldn't be the desired motion, but I'm betting there's a reason that I've not considered or thought of.

There is nothing wrong with spinning a lap but you should move it in and out to avoid tapering.

I use a ring reamer myself, no in and out with that.

Just bed them and you dont have to worry about it. Less time less fuss more time shooting and better

I agree. My preference is bedding the mounts/rail to achieve concentricity.

If precision rings dont line up, generally that is a symptom of problem with the base.

Treating a problem or root cause goes against the grain in today's world or treating symptoms, but it's the better way, in my opinion.

I bed rails or mounts, but I've not yet summoned the courage to bed rings. Other than time, so far I don't see any advantage. Done well either will end up in the same place.

I bed rails or mounts, but I've not yet summoned the courage to bed rings. Other than time, so far I don't see any advantage. Done well either will end up in the same place.
It's easy, just put release agent everywhere look for the gap between your bottom and top rings are the same side to side and front to back and tighten untill it oozes out all the way around and let sit over night.
You do it once you'll never turn back.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts